Buy SACD songs on-line?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey can you buy SACD songs or albums and play them over the network like media stream?

I have only started getting into music again and from what I understand is this:

FLAC is CD quality

But SACD is pretty much the best.

Thanks

Oh wanted something more current, no classical, something like dire straits or pink floyd, I know you can buy them as a disc, but just wanted to listen to one song to see what its like.

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure you've asked the same question and made the same erroneous assumption before...

FLAC is CD quality, if it's 16-bit 44.1Khz, however FLAC is available at up to 24bit 192Khz resolutions, in which case it is significantly better quality than CD. And you can download those from various places (albeit in limited numbers of releases).

A

Anonymous

Yeh I know Flac is CD quality but is SACD not better quality that 24bit 192khz ?

Thanks

Sorry getting confused with all these bit flac sacd dac, opp ymca ect.. lol

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canada16:
Yeh I know Flac is CD quality but is SACD not better quality that 24bit 192khz ?

It's difficult to say, as Andrew pointed out SACD is not PCM, shamelessly cribbed from Wikipedia, with my emphasis:

SACD audio is stored in a format called Direct Stream Digital (DSD), which differs from the conventional Pulse-code modulation (PCM) used by the compact disc or conventional computer audio systems. DSD is 1-bit, has a sampling rate of 2.8224 MHz, and makes use of noise shaping quantization techniques in order to push 1-bit quantization noise up to inaudible ultrasonic frequencies. This gives the format a greater dynamic range and wider frequency response than the CD. The SACD format is capable of delivering a dynamic range of 120 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz and an extended frequency response up to 100 kHz, although most currently available players list an upper limit of 70-90 kHz, and practical limits reduce this to 50 kHz. Because of the nature of sigma-delta converters, one cannot make a direct technical comparison between DSD and PCM. DSD's frequency response can be as high as 100 kHz, but frequencies that high compete with high levels of ultrasonic quantization noise. With appropriate low-pass filtering, a frequency response of 50 kHz can be achieved along with a dynamic range of 120 dB. This is about the same resolution as PCM audio with a bit depth of 20 bits and a sampling frequency of 96 kHz. Thus, DSD looks inferior to a "standard" PCM 24bit/96 kHz even using slightly more bandwidth than PCM (2.8224 Mbit/s vs 2.304 Mb/s).

Of course the main thing you can get from SACD is multi-channel audio (assuming the recording is presented as such), I'm not aware of any multi-channel FLAC offerings.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:SACD is 1-bit, 2.8224MHzhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHz

Thanks andrew, will buy one online, can get pink floyd dark side of the moon for like 5.00, worth a go I guess.

Thanks as well ilc going to buy 30th aneversary pink floyd, got to be worth a fiver.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Of course the main thing you can get from SACD is multi-channel audio (assuming the recording is presented as such), I'm not aware of any multi-channel FLAC offerings.
There is some 5.1 FLAC files, and some examples of other interesting formats like DSD files, and 24/352 WAV files. Do not know what can play them. http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts