BURNING COMPACT DISCS - OPTIMUM RECOMMENDED SPEED FOR ACHIEVING BEST QUALITY

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

BURNING COMPACT DISCS - OPTIMUM RECOMMENDED SPEED FOR ACHIEVING BEST QUALITY

Is there a particular recommended speed at which recordable CDs should be burnt to achieve the best recording / reproduction quality. It is said that recording at lower speeds gives better results as compared with recording at higher speeds. Is it true? What then is the optimum recording speed?

Are there any particular brands of recordable Compact Discs that are better suited for this purpose and which are the better branded CD Burners one should use (installed on a PC)?

Thanks.

Steven Kay

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I burn at slow speed. I think this was recommended on this forum a couple of years ago. Can't say I've noticed any difference in SQ between a disk burned at fast speed and one burned slow though. If you do a google search on 'cdr burning speed' there is plenty of stuff there to read. As for brands of CDRs to use, well I generally use Verbatim Lightscribe discs simply because I like designing pics and stuff which Lightscribe can put on the disc. Have also used the likes of TDK, Memorex, Maxell etc, without any probs. I would stay away from some of the very cheap stuff i.e. Tescos own brand, I have had problems with those. Rich

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I always used to burn at 2X speed (the slowest my computer would allow) in the belief that it affected sound quality until one day I burned at maximum possible and noticed no difference. I have also used Toast (on a Mac) and iTunes to burn with no discernable difference. However, washing the discs first in a mild detergent, leaving them to air-dry and then 'polishing' with a microfibre cloth makes quite a noticeable difference in burning discs and in ripping your CDs in the first place. My copies (made on TDK cd-rs) played back on my friend's Cyrus sound marginally more focussed than the originals.

A

Anonymous

Yes, Taiyo Yuden are probably the best discs, Verbatim being a close second.

I used to burn at 2x all the time, but now am up to 8x and notice no difference, should not be a problem as long as you don't have lots of heavy programs running at the same time.

A

Anonymous

so whats the best water to use soft or hard or perhaps spring water.
and always use fairy liquid its the best and soft and gentle to your hands ha ha ha.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steven,

I started out on my quest for digital music with buring cds. Although I will recommend you what gave me the best results, I still think it's a road to nowhere. Here's why: burned cds start deteriorating after a few years. This happened on all cd-r I used. Even very expensive ones -with 100 years of data security- are no guarantee to succes. The sound quality differs among cd-rs- not good.

For backing up cds, I would recommend archiving them on two seperate drives in a lossless format like apple lossless or flac. For playback, use the archive plus a dac or just stick to a cd player.

If you're still adamant you want cd copies, here's what yielded best results: EAC (free downloadable buring software), taiyo yuden cd-r (or Aldi cdr, one of the cheapest on the market!), low buring spead (1X-2x).

If you have any further questions, please ask.

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Trefor Patten

Thanks for the inputs. Washing the discs prior to recording them is indeed a very interesting idea. I only wonder if the process might not damage those discs permanently because we normally avoid the CDs being exposed to any moisture and excessive sun light....

Still wondering.

A

Anonymous

Unless you've dropped the CDs in a muddy puddle the only benefit is the monetary one to the manufacturers of the detergent and the utility providing the water.

A

Anonymous

Grottyash said:
Unless you've dropped the CDs in a muddy puddle the only benefit is the monetary one to the manufacturers of the detergent and the utility providing the water.

That depends on whether you have greasy fingerprintor other such marks on the disc, if you have washing them in detergent is a very good idea...........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts