Burn in disc

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Is this for breaking in your CDP or for running in speakers?

If youre looking to break in your CDP then just leave a CD playing on repeat for up to 3 days.

If youre running in speakers just keep using them IMO

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
halba:Has anyone any experience of using a burn in disc ?

Are they any good ?
I use the Densen DeMagic Reference CD about once a month - it's not a burn in disc as such but it keeps the system demagnetized - I notice a difference after I've used it.

As my kit is second hand this seemed to be the best option for me

I would like to know how others have got on with other disks

The Densen did get 5 stars in What HiFi

A

Anonymous

Greenwich_Man:Grimly Fiendish:

ValianTX:Waste of money, in my opinion.

Agreed.

Could you let us know which ones you tried please?

Is there more than one? I haven't tried any.

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:I have the Cardas and Ayre disc and find after a month of playing by doing a sweep things sound clearer and fresh. Its one of the myths that is hard to explain, but works

You have to believe it does or it won't work for you. Loads of dodgy audiophile stuff works like that, everything from magic pebbles to mains leads.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Grimly Fiendish:
I haven't tried any.

Hence you "know" they don't work
emotion-5.gif

Always best to keep an open mind (and try and borrow before you buy), i'd say.

We use the dynamic-range-of-standard-CDs-played-on-repeat running-in method here on WHF, incidentally

A

Anonymous

Why not just let it run in normally? Unless you're in a massive rush. I kinda like new electronics to bed in - hasn't taken long IME (maybe 50 hrs or thereabouts). Then again, I'd be worried if they didn't sound fab straight out of the box.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JAXON5:Then again, I'd be worried if they didn't sound fab straight out of the box.

I think this is a problem a lot of people have with a range of kit (including speakers, electronics, headphones, TVs etc) - they expect them all to sound/look perfect 'out of the box'.

Some running in, and (in many cases even more importantly) some experimentation with placement and settings can make a world of difference.

A

Anonymous

Any money spent on these discs would be a sheer waste of money, IMO. Incidentally, Simon agrees too - I've asked him this question face-to-face.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Clare Newsome:Grimly Fiendish:
I haven't tried any.

Hence you "know" they don't workÿ
emotion-5.gif
Always makes me laugh when I see this.

Why?

ÿ

I know that tarot cards don't work, yet I have never tried them.

ÿ

There's an open mind, and there's a would-be con victim...ÿ

A

Anonymous

You don't 'know' that at all, you have convinced yourself that its fact. ÿThere is a huge difference between knowing something, and thinking you know something!

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Clare Newsome:Grimly Fiendish:
I haven't tried any.

Hence you "know" they don't work
emotion-5.gif

Always makes me laugh when I see this.

I've never tried those magic pebbles either yet I dismiss them out of hand. It's called discernment.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
JAXON5:Then again, I'd be worried if they didn't sound fab straight out of the box.

I think this is a problem a lot of people have with a range of kit (including speakers, electronics, headphones, TVs etc) - they expect them all to sound/look perfect 'out of the box'.

Some running in, and (in many cases even more importantly) some experimentation with placement and settings can make a world of difference.

Hi Clare. Point taken. I think I mean the electronics shouldn't sound 'cxxp' out of the box. My guess and IME is that if something sounds bad (after experimenting with positioning, furnishing etc etc) then it's unlikely to improve to the extent that it's <i>that </i> much different (i.e the original character of the equipment is there at the start and just improves during the 'run in'. Just my own experiences...

Anyway, as the 'running in' is a natural process, (i mean it <i> is <i/> gonna happen ), I just let the process happen with whatever music I fancy. Fancy discs? - nah not for me either -I just use those natural dynamic rangey things you mentioned (twice). :)

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it's a fair comparison - Tarot Cards and Burn in Discs

For a start Tarot Cards can be downright dangerous - and will damage you

Whereas Burn in Discs are good for your system

I've done both - and out of the 2 - it's only burn in discs that I would recommend

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I didn't believe in Ouija boards until I did one that scared the pants off me at Uni. Needless to say I haven't done another since! Mind you I wasn't exactly as sober/straight as I perhaps might have been...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts