Bunging up port

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have placed my new floorstanding speakers in their new position around 6 inches from the rear wall. One of them is in a corner and so is booming a bit on bassy tracks. If I bung up the rear port this dampens the booming.

What are the pros and cons of bunging up the rear port? Is it purely to limit bass extension (which is desirable in my case)?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I feel it also dampens the big dynamic peaks in the music. I've done no end of experimenting with the position of my speakers, which if i'm honest have too much bass output for the room they're in. A pair of rolled up socks cut the bass most efectively, but as I say, also constrained the dynamics a bit. If you're not using the port bungs supplied by the manufacturer then contact them and see if you can get some, because they ought to have put in a bit of research or at least experimentation and come up with something that does the job optimally, without unbalancing the whole frequency range. At the moment I'm using the manufacturer-supplied bungs, which in combination with filling my speaker stands up completely and getting the speakers as far from the back and sides as is domestically acceptable seems to have done the job of eliminating the boom, whilst not affecting dynamics too much.

To be honest it's one of those things where experimentation is the only way as every speaker/room/listener interaction is unique. Also try reducing any toe-in (i.e. less angled in towards the listening position), someone recommended that to me and I was surprised to find that that did actually reduce the bass a bit.

Good luck

Dan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've seen Mr.E recommend using a bundle of straws (which can be used in different sizes), as this is far more adjustable, and does not have as drastic effect on the dynamics and balance of the speaker.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I've seen Mr.E recommend using a bundle of straws (which can be used in different sizes), as this is far more adjustable, and does not have as drastic effect on the dynamics and balance of the speaker.

Yep, forgot to mention that one - I tried that and it works, but it did not cut the bass enough in my situation

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
cheyworth said:
Try the bendy straws and direct the air flow away from the wall!:D

There's a nice little business there. Call them audiophile relex port acoustic soloution straws, and you can get a 500% mark up on them. :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts