Building up

ron23

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys

im just starting to be in love with surround sound (totally new to me) so I decided to get some gears and what I get is as follows:

pioneer VSX AX4 AVi with sony bluray and ps3, hook them up with 714s focal floorstander...and then acoustimas series bose am 10 for the surround and center channel..end up hooking for 7.1 channel...it looks alright to my ears..I use the pioneer mcacc for fine calibration and tuning....

do you think this is a bit fair set up guys? Is there any improvements that you can suggest?

thank you so much..

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Sounds pretty good, though if it were me I'd have gone for the matching Focal centre speaker for a better timbral match across the front three channels.

But it's your system, and if you're happy with the sound that's all that matters.

ron23

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks spinny Norman...anyone I chat with regarding my set up say only one thing "what the"....a combination that was quite weird according to them..that's why I step back for a while...and hard to admit I think they are right..I will kinda sort it out and audition some quality speakers...but on the other note, do you think the focal 714's is somehow a good match for the pio? If not... What would be the best main front for it...I listen to all genre..

thanks again

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
No problem at all with the Pioneer/Focal combination, provided you like the sound of it: the receiver should have more than enough oomph to drive the 714s well, and from what I have heard of Pioneer AV amps in the past the two should sound pretty good together.

But as I said, I really would consider the Focal centre speaker to match the 714. as however much auto-calibration you use, the Bose and Focal speakers have a very different balance (and that's being polite).

ron23

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
spiny norman said:
No problem at all with the Pioneer/Focal combination, provided you like the sound of it: the receiver should have more than enough oomph to drive the 714s well, and from what I have heard of Pioneer AV amps in the past the two should sound pretty good together.

But as I said, I really would consider the Focal centre speaker to match the 714. as however much auto-calibration you use, the Bose and Focal speakers have a very different balance (and that's being polite).

thanks skiny Norman.. I totally agree with you... I need to get the centre to match the fronts! There's a lot more for me to learn.

ron23

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
hello spiny norman,

just got my center focal speaker..it was tremendously lovely..i can tell the big difference from what i use to have before...

i will enjoy the set up at the moment.....but then sooner or later i need to have the rear speaker up and running..any recommendation?

thanks in advance.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Unless you're going to play a lot of multichannel music, which is sometimes more demanding of rear-channel quality, you can get away with a much wider range of speakers on the rear channels. Depending on the size and layout of the room, you could use smallish speakers such as the Chorus 705s if you wanted to keep it all-Focal, or something even smaller if you wanted to save more money.

With only effects to carry, rear-channel quality is IMO less critical than that of the front three speakers.

Or perhaps you could go for some dedicated rear-chanel speakers such as the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-FX, which will give a more diffuse, room-filling surround field behind you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts