Building a system for low volumes, please help.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there guys (and gals?)I'm currently attempting to build a a very clear and detailed system.I've got a Cyrus CDXTSE into a beresford dac.I have been experimenting with various amplifiers including cambridge audio, cyrus, nad etc.I've never been quite satisfied with the performance. I have Monopulse 32A speakers are excellent at higher volumes (these are now on ebay for £430 o.n.o). However, since I've moved to London, I now have paper-thin walls and need something that sounds great at lower to mid volumes. I have got a decent headphone set-up but i need to share the music with my girlfriend and also might be doing some mixing.I listen to the full range of music. From lots of electronic/dance to hip-hop, indie, rock, folk and classical.A few questions I hope you experts can help me with:1. Would I be better off with smaller stand-mounted speakers?2. Any recommendations for a second hand power amp/speaker combo around the £1000-£1400 mark?i was thinking about a pmc speaker and bryston power combo. I've been reading a few things that say some of the pmc range need fair volumes to really shine?It would be great to hear some of your ideas!Thanks

A

Anonymous

Headphones? You can then turn them up as loud as you want without offending anybody! You could get a pair of Grado GS1000s and a Graham Slee headphone amplifier for that price!

meemswardrobe:Hi there guys (and gals?)I'm currently attempting to build a a very clear and detailed system.I've got a Cyrus CDXTSE into a beresford dac.I have been experimenting with various amplifiers including cambridge audio, cyrus, nad etc.I've never been quite satisfied with the performance. I have Monopulse 32A speakers are excellent at higher volumes (these are now on ebay for £430 o.n.o). However, since I've moved to London, I now have paper-thin walls and need something that sounds great at lower to mid volumes. I have got a decent headphone set-up but i need to share the music with my girlfriend and also might be doing some mixing.I listen to the full range of music. From lots of electronic/dance to hip-hop, indie, rock, folk and classical.A few questions I hope you experts can help me with:1. Would I be better off with smaller stand-mounted speakers?2. Any recommendations for a second hand power amp/speaker combo around the £1000-£1400 mark?i was thinking about a pmc speaker and bryston power combo. I've been reading a few things that say some of the pmc range need fair volumes to really shine?It would be great to hear some of your ideas!Thanks

That's a good call from Hughes. But if you want to stick to conventional amp/speaker combo then Cyrus 8VS2 and Dynaudio Focus 110 would fit the bill nicely at low levels.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Cyrus 8VS2

Speaking of which there's one on ebay nor for £600...ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think it would be fair to say that if you're not absolutely sure what you want, buying new and listening to the products first is a much safer option. The chances of getting it wrong buying blind simply by punter recommendation is considerable.

I've had a few complete budget/mid range systems here recently, Kandy K2, CA840v2, AVI ADM9.1, Cyrus so if you consider any of those let me know if you need more info. Best of luck.

TRENDING THREADS