Budget speakers go for my NAD502 CDP and Rotel RA 971?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
recently just got NAD 502 as my CD player and Rotel RA 971 as amp from ebay.de (both used, € 52.- for NAD € 74.- for Rotel)

now i have to choose my speakers:

1. Tannoy Mercury F1 custom

2&3. Wharfedale diamond 9.0 / 9.1

4. Mordaunt Short Avant 902i

5. B&W DM 601

or something else.

i think they should all available from € 100 - 150 from ebay if they are used.

mostly i hear indie, altnative, postrock etc, epic45 and Sigur rós for example.

i'm new in hifi and as its my first hifi system i need some help.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The above speakers are a goo starting list but look at the likes of the Monitor Audio BR2's or even the Monitor Audio RS1's if you can find them at a decent price.

B&W 602 S2's or S3's could be an option too but they seem to be holding their value well currently so you may have to look closer to £200.

Are you dead-set on standmount speakers (if so have you budgeted for stands) or can you look at floorstanding speakers (sometimes standmount speakers take up the same room as floorstanders if not a little bit more)?

If you can consider floorstanders then with your budget you could look at a decetn pair of Acoustic Energy AE109's. Superb speakers and they'd gel really well with your NAD/Rotel set-up
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Avoid the Mordaunt Short and the Wharfedales. The AEs are a good suggestion.

A

Anonymous

i think i will just buy 2 bookshelf speaker for my 15sqm room, and my budget is nowhere near those AE109s.

but i do find the little "Acoustic Energy Aegis One" bookshelf speakers which got 4.8/5 rating in audioreview.com, i dont know if they are the proper choices for my NAD/Rotel?

A

Anonymous

ok guys, thanks for all your tips, i think i may go after Tannoy mercury f1 custom, just because the proper price.

somehow i find a pair ? 200.- (or even more) speakers maybe i little bit too much for my ? 126.- electric parts

anyway its my first hifi try :) hope its going well.

A

Anonymous

Tannoy F1 customs or Wharfedale 9.1 either can be bought for under £100 if you shop around altho the 9.1's are getting quite rare as they have been discontinued, I just swapped my f1 customs for the 9.1's and while both were great sounding I personally feel the 9.1's just have the edge in sound reproduction, slighly more depth and a warmer sound.. if your amp is quite low powered then i would probably go for the f1's tho as the Wharfedales are harder to drive.

A

Anonymous

mancsteveuk:Tannoy F1 customs or Wharfedale 9.1 either can be bought for under £100 if you shop around altho the 9.1's are getting quite rare as they have been discontinued, I just swapped my f1 customs for the 9.1's and while both were great sounding I personally feel the 9.1's just have the edge in sound reproduction, slighly more depth and a warmer sound.. if your amp is quite low powered then i would probably go for the f1's tho as the Wharfedales are harder to drive.

i have read some rewiews of wharfedale 9.1 but never listened, anyway, the problem of 9.1 is just the warm sound, may feel amazing at first and may go well with some kind of music but i dont think they're ideal for longterm listening, i may get tired after a few months with these coloured sounds.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Tannoy's will do a good job but the likes of the M/A BR2's woul be a lot better IMO

A much fuller, deeper and faster soundstage that'd suit your electronics well

Re the AE 109's; they can be picked up on eBay for less than £100 sometimes. They are v good speakers and would do very well in your system; just depends on whether you want floorstanders

At the end of the day it is your choice so go for what you fee is right. Are you able to demo at all or are you 'buying blind' so to speak?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts