budget phono stage for ortofon 2M Blue ?

andreih8017

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have the following setup: dual cs 505-3 tt with ortofon 2m blue mm cartridge and marantz pm6010 ki signature amp.

I'm looking for a budget phono stage, and i was thinking about cambridge audio azur 540P. Does it sound better than the phono stage integrated in the amp ? And is it suitable for the 2m blue cart ?

Also, do you know any other phono stages in the same price range that are better suitable for my current setup ?

Thanx,

Don't worry about a phono stage as the one in your amp is more than sufficient for your Ortofon.

If you feel you need to spend some money then in my opinion you would be better off buying a better cartridge.

I would only consider a phono preamp if you were looking to move to a moving coil type cartridge.

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Azure 640P and although a lot of listening has been done on head phones, I would say the Azure beats my Yamaha A-S500 built in phono stage. Thats with a Rega Rp1 and Ortofon OM5E.

AmigaNut

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure you would benefit from an separate phono stage, but I would spend a bit more that £85, or wait until funds allow. I had considered Angle Audio before I discovered the Graham Slee website and forum. The entry level Angle is £135 and the entry level Slee is £160. To try the Angle you have to buy it on eBay, but they do have a no quibble returns policy. To try the Slee you just have to join the forum and arrange a two week home loan. This is what I did. I had been intending to get an entry level or one step up phono stage, but after spending some time on the forum and getting to know the other members and owners I decided to try Graham Slee's top of the range MM phono stage. It was stunning and I bought it. Fortunately I had the funds. It is without doubt the single best bit of hifi I have ever bought.

davidpr

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Not quite, Angle Audio have their own website now.

Another Hi Fi mag had an offer for Angle at £99 last month. This was for a MM or MC Audiophile model.

TRENDING THREADS