Budget amplifies how much improvement last 15-20 years

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How much have integrated amplifies improved over the last 15years I see people here saying that the Nad 3020 is still quite good but in my option is was not as good as the A&R A60 which I owned. I replaced the A60 with an Arcam Delta 60, which I thought was an improvement on the A60 so how do the equivalent modern Amps compare.

thanks

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I think it also depends on how they've been used. For instance, I'm currently using a 25-yr old Rotel 820, which blew away my Cambridge A5...but saying that, having recently heard a RA04, I would say it that it was more controlled and more detailed than my 820...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Difficult to say, since I believ amps degrade over time, but I'd have a Rotel RA-04 over my 1988 Arcam Alpha 2 any day of the week. No comparison.[/quote]

would'nt a refurb fix this?

John Duncan

Possibly, yes, though I think it would be expensive (I mean of the order of 100 quid, and it would still only go for 40 on eBay), and secondly would only return it to, even if it were as-new condition, a point where our idea of what constituted good hifi was different from today. And by that I mean synergy of amp and turntable and quality of phono stage were more important in 1988, and furthermore manufacturing processes were such that an amp of its quality nowadays would cost tuppence to make in the far east.

I'm not putting that very well. Better example - I'd rather have a 2005 Mondeo than a 1988 Showroom Condition Sierra.

A

Anonymous

but the cosworth will always drive better if serviced correctly

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We were only saying recently, when testing budget kit, how much more you get for your money these days. Performance has improved, along with build, finish and features - remote controls, connectivity etc.

That's not to say there aren't some classics who've endured - heck, we've got several items of vintage gear at home still going strong - but they're often products that cost more at the time...

T

the record spot

I hear Quad's 33/303 pre-power combo is doing great guns at the car boot sales these days....!

John Duncan

[quote user="chris lowe"]but the cosworth will always drive better if serviced correctly[/quote]

I was thinking more of the 1.6L (since we're talking budget). My point being that compared to today, pretty much everything (and I don't mean hifi) in those days was rubbish, and more expensive (in relative terms).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
We were only saying recently, when testing budget kit, how much more you get for your money these days. Performance has improved, along with build, finish and features - remote controls, connectivity etc.

That's not to say there aren't some classics who've endured - heck, we've got several items of vintage gear at home still going strong - but they're often products that cost more at the time...
[/quote]

I don't know about build-quality Clare! I agree with your other points though but that's just down to the advance of technology and the friendly Chinese who are prepared to work for peanuts.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
well most amps nowadays dont have a phono stage - 1 for connections, remotes have been around a while at least 10 years maybe more - 1 for features as for build quality my audiolab is built like a tank and the finish is excellent, also had an aura evolution that my nephew is still using and it still sounds better than the cambridge and marantz of this world but yes the cost is much lower but will they last as long. i just cant see a cambridge azur 840 being around in 30 years time.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]well most amps nowadays dont have a phono stage [/quote]

But then most people (more's the pity for them) don't have a turntable these days, which they did do 20 years ago. However, today's amps are nicely set-up for MP3 and AV connectivity, which is far more appropriate for most 21st century users.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]well most amps nowadays dont have a phono stage - 1 for connections, remotes have been around a while at least 10 years maybe more - 1 for features as for build quality my audiolab is built like a tank and the finish is excellent, also had an aura evolution that my nephew is still using and it still sounds better than the cambridge and marantz of this world but yes the cost is much lower but will they last as long. i just cant see a cambridge azur 840 being around in 30 years time.[/quote]

Indeed, I can't see an 840 being around in ten years to be honest! They don't build 'em like they used to but then that adage is true whatever the industry IME.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]so i'm not an appropriate user.[/quote]

That's not what I said! I just pointed out that manufacturers adapt their products to meet the needs of the masses.

Those of us who still enjoy - and indeed prefer, in many cases - vinyl will pick other amp options (or to be honest, more usually a superior, external phono amp).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Wild Willy"] Indeed, I can't see an 840 being around in ten years to be honest![/quote]

Really. Have a close look at that 'icon' of an amplifier, the NAD 3020. Iffy build, sound and still around. Yours for a mere £50 or so on ebay.

A

Anonymous

Vintage night tonight or what! Woohoo : ) : ) :)! I love vintage hi-fi! Have any of you ever heard '79 or later JVC Super Class-A amplifiers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts