Budget amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello friends,

I am new to hifi, so need everyone's help.

I wanted to buy a budget system for our study *** music room.

I have a pair of 902i's and CA 540C v2 CD player (got as a gift a couple of months back).

I had short listed some amps (based completely on reviews) :

1. Marantz PM6002 - have read a lot of nice reviews. Also got the best buy award in it's class.

2. CA 540A v2 - had heard a CA amp + CD with 904i at a friend's place & quite liked it. But have read that it might be bright with the 902i. Has anyone heard this combo? I'll then also end up matching the CA amp with the CD player (already have the CD player). Also it is the most powerful of the lot & has a pre-out - might want to connect a subwoofer later for movies.

3. NAD 325BEE - very nice review but my better half doesn't like the looks so might be impossible to get (you know how difficult it is.....
emotion-1.gif
)

4. Rotel - 04 - a bit out of budget and also doesn't have a remote. So not that interested.

So, i guess now the fight is between the PM6002 & 540A v2. Which one will you guys suggest considering that the source will be a CA?

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Also wanted to add that if i go with the CA then it would be easier for me to upgrade to the V3 when it gets launched later this year.......and looking at there track record, it might be safe to say that the Marantz might be in for a surprise.........so what do you guys say??

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I'm not keen on CA amps. Their way of making sound (bit brash and hifi rather than balanced and musical) doesn't fit with how I think an amp should sound.

Out of the original list, my preference is for the Rotel, but as you have discounted it, I would choose the Marantz.

A

Anonymous

One more vote for the rotel, Better amp than the others. Its quality makes up for having to get off your bum due to no remote. I have one and you get used to it, Put your cd in, set the amps volume and then you don't need a remote after really, you can change tracks etc with the cd players remote. If you can stretch your budget go for the rotel.

A

Anonymous

I picked up an ex-display CA 640A V2 from Richer Sounds at the weekend for £200. Only available in store and you might have to press the manager to let you have their demo as they don't usually let them go. I'd guess there's a v3 on its way soon.

A

Anonymous

Thank you guys for your reply.

Hugh........how do you find the CA amp? Is it bright? Is it really brash compared to the other amps as mentioned by some other users??

A

Anonymous

I'd go for the Rotel too. Look for a Rotel RA-05 which comes with a remote.

TRENDING THREADS