Budget Amp & Speaker Opinions Needed

StevieC

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Stopped off at my local hifi store this morning to have a quick listen to their budget set up of Marantz PM6003 & Wharfedale (10.1's I think). CD player was also Marantz but I believe the cheaper 5003 model. I had a disc of my own with me so could listen to something I knew well.

Although initially impressed with the general clarity I found the overall sound a bit on the bright side, even producing some sibilance in places. I have two theories about this:

1) The brightness is probably due more to the speakers than the amp. Admittedly this is based purely on intuition but if I'm right anyone got any suggestions for better speakers? Ideally I would like a bit more at the bottom end and a bit less at the top end! I can afford to go a bit higher in price than the Wharfedales.

2) And this is far more basic. As my existing kit is about twenty years old almost any new kit is going to sound a bit bright in comparison.

Of course I may be way off the mark and it might be all down to the amp. Any advice/opinions greatfully appreciated, thanks.

Steve

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz pairing can be a little lively in the top end - so matching them with speakers takes a little care. You could either try Van Den Hul cables with the system, which should smooth it off a little, or some other electronics. Although the room might be bringing the treble to your attention, or maybe the wrong height stands - he lower they are, the more bass you'll get, and the nigher they are the less bass you'll get.

Was the system properly warmed up before you listened to it? I'd give it at least an hour before listening

As for the speakers, the Wharfedales should have plenty at the bottom end.

T

the record spot

Hey Steve, how do you like your music to sound? What kind of sound do you like? A lot of kit nowadays leans towards the brighter end of the spectrum, plenty of detail, emphasis on the midrange, but taking the foot off the pedal when it comes to the bass.

I'd be inclined to seek out some of the Q Acoustics range, the 1030i floorstander is on for a good deal right now, as is the 1050i which is a bit bigger, the 2000 series is the new lineup and the 2020 might be a good option; they produce great products that punch well above their weight. Forget what the price tag says, they are seriously good produtcs. Matthewpiano rates the Roth Audio speakers he has right now and this might be another option. Alternatives to Marantz are many, so the electronics could be a question of taste. You could probably mix and match if you didn't want to stick with one brand for amp/source options.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
i foundt the 10.1 to have much sibilance and thibilance than the 9.1 that had none of that.but sounded to much polite

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Give Mordaunt Short Aviano 1s an audition. They don't sound as bright as the Wharfedales. BTW, I also found the diamond 10.1s to be bright as well.

A

Anonymous

I own a Teac CR-H240DAB I imported a few months ago from the UK (I am from Germany) and decided after reading many tests and also tested many speakers in shops myself to buy the Magnat Quantum 603 which cost only around 200Euro/pair here at the moment, which is around 180GBP I think and they really sound fantastic and I don't think you will find better speakers for this money. They really make my small Teac-system sound brilliant. No matter what kind of music you hear (I listen to rock, blues, folk, classic and also to all kind of music on the radio), they always sound warm but also show details in the middle and high tones and the bass is really strong for a book shield speaker. Also you can listen to music with them for hours and hours without the speakers killing your nerves (which did for example the floorstanding Wharfedale VR 200 which I ordered before without listening after reading a test in a German hifi-magazine, the highes were much to pregnant to listen to them for longer). I don't know if the Magnat Quantum 603 are easy available in the UK, but maybe you can import them to the UK, too. Here is a test that really describes the speakers perfect I think. The test is in German but you can translate it easy with google translation and it is understandable a friend from Scotland told me! LOL

http://www.stereo.de/index.php?id=396

Here is the test where they compare the Magnat Quantum 603 with 8 other speakers:

http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_stereo_119275.html

A

Anonymous

StevieC:
Stopped off at my local hifi store this morning to have a quick listen to their budget set up of Marantz PM6003 & Wharfedale (10.1's I think). CD player was also Marantz but I believe the cheaper 5003 model. I had a disc of my own with me so could listen to something I knew well.

Although initially impressed with the general clarity I found the overall sound a bit on the bright side, even producing some sibilance in places. I have two theories about this:

1) The brightness is probably due more to the speakers than the amp. Admittedly this is based purely on intuition but if I'm right anyone got any suggestions for better speakers? Ideally I would like a bit more at the bottom end and a bit less at the top end! I can afford to go a bit higher in price than the Wharfedales.

2) And this is far more basic. As my existing kit is about twenty years old almost any new kit is going to sound a bit bright in comparison.

Of course I may be way off the mark and it might be all down to the amp. Any advice/opinions greatfully appreciated, thanks.

Steve

You should try Dali Lekor 2s with the Marantz combo. It's highly rated as a search through the forum will show.

A

Anonymous

Hi Steve

It is interesting that you refer to the exact same issue with your Marantz/10.1 demo as I experience with my CA 640 combo/9.1
emotion-3.gif

The way you describe your demo is just the same as I am hearing with my kit and a possible issue of the Wharfies is raised.. My

reading on this forum tells me they are not bright (almost the opposite).

If you can let us know if you have more success with any other speaker or upgrade with the Marantz..it would be great.

Cheers

Mike

StevieC

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Just a quick thank you to those of you that have responded, interesting that a couple of other people found the Wharfedales to be a bit bright. Also noted that somebody else has started a thread asking for a match for the Marantz and so far no-one has suggested the Wharfedales on that thread either.

All being well I'm going to listen to one or two alternatives sometime next week, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Steve

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i think sometimes people say that it sounded bright butr maybe its just that they are playing the sound a touch to loud and the wrong width of speakers etc and that can cause a lack of sound stage which in return sounds forced on you (appearing anything than laid back so they jump up and say to bright). I have fell into this at home. this is imo only.

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
StevieC:
Just a quick thank you to those of you that have responded, interesting that a couple of other people found the Wharfedales to be a bit bright. Also noted that somebody else has started a thread asking for a match for the Marantz and so far no-one has suggested the Wharfedales on that thread either.

All being well I'm going to listen to one or two alternatives sometime next week, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Steve

If you fancy the Wharefedales but are concerned about brightness, why not try the 10.2 rather than the 10.1?

When I bought my Marantz 6003 CD & amp combo last Christmas, all of the retailers were partnering them with 10.1s, but I insisted on auditioning the 10.2s (not easy, as very few places had them sitting in stock). I found the bigger cabinet and larger main driver gave it a better tonal balance.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i heard the marantz combo with the ma rx1's and it sounded very nice. There was no harshness and the soundstaging was better than i thought you could get for that sort of money

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts