Budget 5.1 system - help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I have just bought a Panasonic TH37PX70 and had SKY HD installed at the weekend. I am more than happy with the results - the SD channels look great and the HD channels are simply stunning. I am looking to upgrade my DVD player and also introduce 5.1 to take advantage of the Sky HD. I have a budget of around £600 for the lot. I would prefer seperates but willing to consider an all-in-one system.

Any suggestions?

Can anyone suggest some cheap (ish) speaker stands for the rear speakers also.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Toshiba SD-370 DVD (£60ish), Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver (£250), Tannoy EFX5.1 speaker system (£150-£170, depending on finish, with a bit of Googlage), pair of Gale T50s to support the rears - £30 from Richer Sounds.

Think that brings us in well under your budget, leaving about £100 for assorted bits of wire: HDMI from DVD to TV, say £30ish, digital interconnect from player to receiver about the same, £20 or so for a line cable to the sub, £40 for lots and lots of speaker cable - QED original at a couple of quid a metre - and the job's a good 'un.

A

Anonymous

Sorry I can't be of any help but I just wanted to congratulate Andrew on a very quick, well thought out spec.

Am looking for similar for my father and that fits the bill (literally)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Boy, you should change your name to GoogleKipper

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Do Andrew and GiddyKipper own that shop?

...BTW, £150-£170 for those Tannoy speakers sounds a little low. Pricerunner and Kelkoo only have them at £200 minimum. Here's a similar post at whathifi.com. Note there that the Philips Cineos HTS9800W (Home Cinema System, but not a HD-DVD player) is meant to be good and, according to the price at pricerunner.com, seems within budget...But be warned: It doesn't accept 5.1 from an external source (such as a video games console).

P.S. ASMA, you didn't mention if you wanted a HD-DVD player, that Toshiba SD-370E DVD player has "HD upscaling". I don't know what 'HD upscaling' means myself, but I'm guessing it can't play HD-DVDs (just plays and 'upscales' normal DVDs?). Andrew? Anyone?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Goatlips"...BTW, £150-£170 for those Tannoy speakers sounds a little low.[/quote}

Sorry it was a slip of the keyboard. I of course meant the Tannoy FX speakers for this system, which are that price - the EFX ones are a good bit more. Apologies.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for their comments - the system suggested looks perfect.

In the current issue you rate the samsung dvd player higher than the toshiba. Does the toshiba fit into the system better or will the sumsung do just as good a job?

A

Anonymous

Kef KHT1005

P.S. No need for apologies Andrew, they could be that price, people might just have to wait a month or two, that's all. ;)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I bought the Jamo speakers (that have been given 5 stars in this months issue) as part of the package that gives you the DMR61 a few months ago. I've since sold the DMR61 as the picture was poor. The surround sound though is superb and they look great. If you're not that interested in music (I'm playing cd's through the Denon DVD 1940 and it's not as good as I'd like) and want the speakers for HD Sky and dvd's you would love it. Watching Ice Age 2 on Sky HD is a joy, the sound is amazing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts