Budget 2.1 system advice - update: LG NB3520a initial impressions / mini review

PhilDCCE

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm looking to get a new audio system which will be used for watching movies, playing games and also listening to music. Currently I have a bluray player, sky tv box and xbox 360 connected to my TV via HDMI, and I hope to use the optical out from my TV to connect to a sound system.

Now then my budget is quite small (£200ish used) so I know that I'm asking a lot to find a system which does everything for that sort of price. I'm realistic that I'm not going to be purchasing the best system in the world. I just want something that sounds better than my TV speakers and will alow me to play music through it too.

I've considered the 5.1 route, but honestly I don't think our living room is laid out in a way which is suitable for it. The TV is in the corner, with 2 sofas on adjoining walls... I could place the front speakers well, but the rear speakers would be a real challenge because of the shape and layout of the room.

So I got to looking at 2.1 systems. And then I got to looking specifically at Soundbars, as they're nice and neat and don't require trailing wires.

I'm basically looking at the following options, and was hoping to get opinions and/or suggestions for alternatives please.
[*]Orbitsound T9[*]Orbitsound T12[*]LG NB3520a[/list]
So I'm kind of thinking the Orbitsounds will sound better for music playback, and they're supposed to have a much better stereo spread too. On the other hand, the LG has a more powerful active wireless sub as well as bluetooth streaming capability.

Anyone have any thoughts on these units and/or alternatives I should be looking at as well?

It doesn't have to be a soundbar, but space either side the TV unit is VERY minimal... not enough space for even your average bookshelf type speakers really!

A decent 2.1 system with satellite speakers would be fine... remote control for volume etc would be preferred, but I'd take sound quality over features.

Any advice gratefully received!

PhilDCCE

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for the response.

Is there any particular reason you'd opt for the LG?

The obsessive compulsive in me thinks the same too, as the TV and BR player are already LG :oops:

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I've heard it in a Curry's store, hardly the best demo environment, but it sounded good for the money. Wireless sub is a big + for me, means it can be placed a bit more discreetly without any trailing wires.

PhilDCCE

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
That's reassuring. I decided to take a punt on it and ordered one last night, as there's a retailer on eBay selling refurbs for £149.99 at the minute. Seemed like a great deal, I'll report back when I receive it!

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I hope i'm not out of line saying this but thats a bit of a gamble considering you can get them new with the associated warranties and security of service for £199.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid 8)

PhilDCCE

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly confident on it, the seller has already sold almost 70 of them and the feedback associated with the recent sales of this specific item is all excellent.

In any case, it comes with a 30 day refund policy and a 3 month warranty :)

PhilDCCE

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
A little update on this, for anyone interested. The sound bar arrived today, in original packaging and still with protective plastic film on it. I think this is basically a customer return which has been used for an hour or two. Couldn't be happier with the item considered it was listed as a 'refurb'.

I really like it. I'm a noob with home cinema, I was previously running the optical out on the TV into an old Sony mini system which has always sounded decent for music but lacked a lot of clarity on dialogue for TV, movies and games.

My immediate impression is that it sounds a LOT better than the Sony system for TV, movies and games. Music sounds surprisingly decent too, and the Bluetooth streaming works a treat with our phones and laptops. I'll admit it isn't as loud as I thought it might be, however it is still louder than we need. Sound quality even at full volume is good.

I'm not an audiophile and most of you guys know a lot more than me, but for a £150 solution I think you'd struggle to go wrong with one of these. It's just a super convenient little bundle and it does a lot for the money I paid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts