Bryston vs Vincent

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just called my hifi shop to arrange a demo on next 2 weeks. The reason is because I want to upgrade my system. Currently my system are:

NAD C545BEE, NAD C236BEE, B&W 685, Chord Crimson, QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire, Chord Main Cable, Epos Stand & Tachima.

So I arrange with my friend on the hifi shop, to setup Bryston Combo; Power (2B SST2 or 3B SST2) & combined with Pre (BP 16 or BP 26). Even though, he agreed to setup the system & book a demo schedule for me, he insisted (slightly push) me to listen (or even to choose) Vincent Combo; Power (SP 331) & combined with Pre (SA 31).

So, if anybody out there ever compare these 2 combo, please give me idea & input which one is better. The sound, I want to push is very detail (not harsh) high, warm medium & tight bass. I want to have open sound with good depth & stage, or you can put as near as the artist in my room do private concert.

My music taste is very vary, from Classic, Vocal, Jazz, Rock, Alternative, Hip-hop, Metal & etc.

Again, need help, so all inputs, ideas & recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Note. Due lack of my experience, as newbies on hifi, please be bear with me...

Cheers

A

Anonymous

tell the dealer that you wish to listen to and compare both systems .... take some of your own cd's with, then decide which setup sounds better to you

bear in mind, that what you hear in the demo room may not sound the same in your home/listening room .... so if possible, see if the dealer will bring both systems to your home.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
The Bryston will definitely give you what you're looking for. It just depends how the Vincent stacks up against it - that's for you to decide!

May I know why? I mean, may you can be more specific on what & why Bryston can give me more?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Tough:

May I know why? I mean, may you can be more specific on what & why Bryston can give me more?

"The sound, I want to push is very detail (not harsh) high, warm medium & tight bass. I want to have open sound with good depth & stage, or you can put as near as the artist in my room do private concert."

What Bryson gives you will really depend on your system. The B&W's won't really give you everything the Brystons have to offer, but you will hear the B&W's at their best. The Brystons are extremely dynamic, with seemingly limitless power. I used a 3b for a while and that was driving big KEF Reference 4.2's, which it did admirably, and they were a real pain to control. They're precise, dynamic, open, detailed,

I don't know how the 2b would compare as I've not heard that one.

A

Anonymous

@FrankHarveyHiFi

From your explanation, I believe B&W is not the best partner for Bryston. So, what the best recomended speaker to partner with Bryston then.

Also, you said, used to use 3B for a while. Mean, curently you not using it? If yes, may I know why you not using it?

What pre you partnering with 3B?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
At the time I'd bought these huge KEF Reference speakers, which, although a high sensitivity, were a real pain to control the bass they had. I tried quite a few power amps, and found the Bryston did the job no problem. My circumstances have changed since then and reluctantly KEF's had to go, so I had no need for the 3b either. Still, I have better on both counts now, so everything worked out for the best
emotion-1.gif

I was using the 3b with the BP20 I think it was - I forget the exact number now.

I'm not saying the B&W won't be a good, match, just that your particular B&W's won't be allowing you to hear what the Bryston is capable of - but you will be hearing the B&W's at their best though
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info FrankHarveyHifi.

But now, I am totally confused. Some friend of mine successfully convince me, that Moon is also worth to consider. When he went abroad, couple weeks ago, he had a change to listen to Moon. Since then he want to buy Moon Combo (CDP/Pre/Power), but unfortunately he get tangled with some problem & will have to due his intention with Moon. Unfortunately, he also forgot the type of the Moon. :(

So, once again, I am calling all the expert & everyone who has (lucky enough) got experience with Bryston, Vincent & Moon (spec. Bryston vs Moon). Which one is have slightly better performance on clarity, detail & openness on high; warm on mid, punchy & tightness on low end.

Cheers,

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Bryston is a company with the highest standards of manufacturing and commitment to customer service. However, their products are not the warmest sounding ones on the market. Simaudio is also very well designed and built with softer presentation and natural midrange. Vincent is better known for their budget gear that fares well for its price tag. It's a little forward and not so detailed, but the least mechanical sounding of the three.

These are only generalizations of the sound signatures that I've usually heard from the said companies because I don't know which specific models you are talking about, but my pick of the bunch would be Simaudio.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Tough:

Thanks for all the info FrankHarveyHifi.

But now, I am totally confused. Some friend of mine successfully convince me, that Moon is also worth to consider. When he went abroad, couple weeks ago, he had a change to listen to Moon. Since then he want to buy Moon Combo (CDP/Pre/Power), but unfortunately he get tangled with some problem & will have to due his intention with Moon. Unfortunately, he also forgot the type of the Moon. :(

So, once again, I am calling all the expert & everyone who has (lucky enough) got experience with Bryston, Vincent & Moon (spec. Bryston vs Moon). Which one is have slightly better performance on clarity, detail & openness on high; warm on mid, punchy & tightness on low end.

Cheers,

If you are having a demo then just choose the ones you like the most

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

If you are having a demo then just choose the ones you like the most

Thats quite possibley the best advice you can get. Trust your own ears and spend your own money!

As a Bryston owner who values detail, transparency and soundstaging I can predict that you'll find the top and bottom end characteristics you're looking for, but I'd be surprised if you found the Bryston at all warm in mid-range, depending a little on your preamp - maybe consider valve pre and SS power amp configuration?

A

Anonymous

The reason I ask this, because I have plan to have demo. But as you all know, we would like some difficulties to perform demo, at least from my experience.

First, we have to test the system with our CDs, 1 system at least will take av. 45 minutes (since I would like to test with various music, which I like). Second, it not easy to compare between 2 system, because we can not compare side by side without lag time. We need time to change the cabling & etc.

Therefore, I need suggestion from all expert or someone who had experience & know the characteristic with these system. At least, when I perform the demo, I can confirm or confront my experience with theirs. And choose

So from what I read at this forum, Bryston (3B SST2 & BP 16) had detail, power & good staging, transparent, fine high & end), but not warm mid. Vincent Combo, since they using tube, they will produce warm sound, but with slightly lack of detail & openness. Moon Combo (P5.3 & W5.3), almost identical with Bryston, but on smooth side & with natural mid.

Am I make right conclusion?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I Had a home demo of a Vincent cd player just over a week ago. If it's sonic characteristics are an indication of Vincents in-house sound, then you can expect a warm, full sound with pleasant vocal reproduction, but a lack of realism and a very brittle treble with certain types of music (rock, mainly).

A

Anonymous

bretty:
I Had a home demo of a Vincent cd player just over a week ago. If it's sonic characteristics are an indication of Vincents in-house sound, then you can expect a warm, full sound with pleasant vocal reproduction, but a lack of realism and a very brittle treble with certain types of music (rock, mainly).

Hhhmm interesting... This afternoon I just had brief demo with Vincent Combo (331 series). Their sound, from what I heard, was a lack of high & quit warm in the middle. These Pre-Power are not pass break-in point yet. So, combine with their CDP, I think Vincent will compliment each other.

Well, it getting difficult to choose among then... Tough decision..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts