Broadcast quality

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I love radio and I'm just about the only person I know with a dedicated FM aerial on the roof. But I do get a little disillusioned with how variable the sound quality can be from service to service. Classical enthusiasts are well-served by Radio 3 (Classic FM isn't too bad either) but if your tastes are more mainstream like mine, it can be very hit-n-miss. Radio 1 is consistently appalling, as are the ILRs and community stations in my area, while national independent stations like Smooth Radio are tolerable. Radio 2 is an enigma; the SQ seems to vary immensely depending on what programme you're listening to.

formbypc

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I use a Squeezebox Touch to listen over t'internet. With the iPlayer app, I find the small trade-off in quality is far outweighed by the convenience. I listen to the radio programmes I want, when I want. It might not have the presence, the open-ness, of a top-rate FM tuner, but there's never any interference, no hiss, it's whisper-quiet in that respect.....

Same as with TV - pretty much everything we watch these days is from an HDD, after the event, and (if applicable) after I've taken the adverts out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I love radio and I'm just about the only person I know with a dedicated FM aerial on the roof.

Not the only one :)

One of my pet peeves are people who buy a good FM tuner but can't be a###d to provide it with a decent signal (then moan about the tuner).

Many commercial stations EQ the hell out a signal because they only envisage their stuff being played on portables or car radios. (Radio 1 also do this and Radio 2 probably vary the EQ depending on who (and where) the majority of the audience are at any particular time of day/week and depending on the programme content.

Luckily I hate commercial stations (mostly because of the commercials) so their sound quality, or lack of it, doesn't bother me.

I mostly listen to the third most popular radio station in the UK (along with 10,754,000 others*) and it's FM signal is spiffy. All of the BBC FM stations have strong signals here.

I also listen to a lot of BBC Radio content via iPlayer (and AirPlay) which sounds fine too.

*Just in case a certain somebody accuses me of 'elitism' (again) for listening to such a popular station every day since I was in my young teens.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow no replies for two months then two in a day lol.

I think you're right. But it's a shame that the more mainstream stations seem to have their quality-levels set for the lowest common denominator.

But there doesn't seem to be enough people who care to make them change.

MajorFubar said:
I love radio and I'm just about the only person I know with a dedicated FM aerial on the roof. But I do get a little disillusioned with how variable the sound quality can be from service to service. Classical enthusiasts are well-served by Radio 3 (Classic FM isn't too bad either) but if your tastes are more mainstream like mine, it can be very hit-n-miss. Radio 1 is consistently appalling, as are the ILRs and community stations in my area, while national independent stations like Smooth Radio are tolerable. Radio 2 is an enigma; the SQ seems to vary immensely depending on what programme you're listening to.

Only just noticed this thread. Sorry Maj.

I have mine rigged to the TV aerial, which makes our house look like a radar station. Even commercial stations vary in quality, such as 'Magic' which is fairly warm sounding, while the likes of 'Absolute Radio' is more trebly or less dense. Add to that is my area is cr** for signal strength. On a perfect day it's fine, but if get a single cloud overhead, it knackers the whole reception.

We have friends just the other side of the village and they can't pick-up any FM or digital signals - they're only guaranteed by using cable. They live just 1.5 miles from me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Even commercial stations vary in quality, such as 'Magic' which is fairly warm sounding, while the likes of 'Absolute Radio' is more trebly or less dense. Add to that is my area is cr** for signal strength. On a perfect day it's fine, but if get a single cloud overhead, it knackers the whole reception.

Boy, are you in for a treat if you ever go digital and use something like TuneIn Radio Pro!

I have just been listening to Absolute Radio (in 128Kbps AAC) and it sounds brilliant...

8482012540_617ff310b3.jpg

Lots of choices too...

8482012212_d88d0079d4.jpg

(and more if I scroll down)

Magic 105.4 is sounding pretty good too. Not 'warm' or otherwise. (Maybe it's not EQ'ed in digital)...

8480921479_f2df6b7c23.jpg

I am going to carry on listening for a bit (to your Absolute Radio) as it is sounding really very good :)

Given the hopelessness of your local FM reception (and your liking for local stations) then you really need to get a digital alternative sorted. (I have all possible 'bases' covered with DAB/FM/Freeview/Internet/iPlayer Radio even though our FM signal is pristine and cloud proof!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts