British hi-fi brand Leak returns with its first product in 40 years

Mel_Lambert

May 25, 2020
Visit site
Is the company still located on the Westway Factory Estate in West London? Leak was a much-admired brand with some astonishing technical achievements several decades back.

Jonty

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Is the company still located on the Westway Factory Estate in West London? Leak was a much-admired brand with some astonishing technical achievements several decades back.
Good news - it really looks the part. The old factory was demolished some years ago, but Rank had integrated Leak with Wharfedale in Yorkshire long before that.
John Leak

Jonty

May 26, 2020
Visit site
The Hillman Minx was indeed a horrible car - we used to joke about its rubber steering arms. Try thinking Jaguar Mark II; that's the market Leak always aimed at, and the retro look will appeal to many.
John Leak

Deccatech

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Hello John
As a schoolboy in the 60's I saved up about £20 - and my parents gave me the rest - to purchase a Stereo 30 plus. I still have it. I have spent a lifetime in this industry and at 67 years young repair all things audio especially such 'retro' products. I was intrigued to see the surname Leak on your replies. I'd love to know how this new product has surfaced when I thought that the Leak name had been lost to Rank and then sadly evaporated as with so many fine audio marques.
Wishing you the very best and many years, built on Harold's outstanding achievements.
With kind regards
Peter

Jonty

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Hello Peter
Thanks for the kind sentiments. Can I guess from your handle that you worked for Decca?
So much rubbish is said and written about hifi. Not long before his death in 1989 I told my father that people were collecting his old valve amplifiers and that prices were shooting up. ‘Must be mad’, he replied, ‘totally obsolete, all that weight, heat, and unreliable valves. Why don’t they buy decent modern stuff?’ But I think he was pleased really.
The design parameters for the original Stereo 30 included that it should be cheaper to make and sell, and that it should sound at least as good as the valve equipment. Simple as that.
Kind regards
John

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,
I was the proud owner of a Delta 70 amplifier bought age 18 with wages from my Saturday job (in a Hi-Fi store). I still think the styling is sublime. It had great current delivery for the time. Great to see a such a marque with a rich tradition returning. My speakers of the time were 2-way Richard Allan kits with 12" woofer and 3" tweeter. Happy days!
Kind regards
Rob

Blumlein

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
I was sorry to see it is manufactured in China and not built here in England. I was the proud owner of a Stereo 30 plus back in 1968 and I bought it brand new for £44/12/6.
Does anyone know where the firm is who are responsible for making it?

HoxtonBridge

May 28, 2022
Visit site
I was sorry to see it is manufactured in China and not built here in England. I was the proud owner of a Stereo 30 plus back in 1968 and I bought it brand new for £44/12/6.
Does anyone know where the firm is who are responsible for making it?

My father in law had the exact same one, and like you, he recalls the exact price. They are now part of the IAG stable of companies alongside Audiolab, Quad, Mission, Wharfedale, Castle and many others besides. The sad fact of the matter is that we no longer wish to play the prices commensurate with manufacturing here - many 'British/European' companies either farmed out their manufacturing to the far east or were liquidated and their names resurrected later, ergo Leak. There is nothing technically wrong with being made in China; after all, we have been listening to, driving, typing, surfing, tweeting and phoning on Chinese made goods for decades. That, however, is not the point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts