Bright system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Andrew and anyone else who cares to help out, i am having a slight brightness problem with my system

the system in question is:-

MF x-80

Cyrus CD6vs

Project debut 3 phono sb

Dynaudio focus 110's

Van de Hull 102 mk 3 interconnects

Speaker cable is a bespoke design by myself, i was a cable design engineer for a number of years its a twisted pair of 32 strands of silver plated copper sheathed with clear ptfe

I have recently bought the 110's and since they have loosened up the treble is a little bright on some recordings it sounds like the vocalist has a lisp.

I think I have a system miss match but i am also wondering about the speaker cable.

i did try and get the x-80 converted to x-150 but mf no longer do it therefore i have plans for a pre power combo in the future but short term, lower cost, any ideas out there

Thanks

Chris

A

Anonymous

In addition i have just seen some MF M250 mono blocks for £900 secondhand would they help or hinder?

A

Anonymous

very nice indeed but a little out of the price range plus she would kill me!

would the power amps help then?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the brightness sound come from the combo of Cyrus and MF, so a pre - powers set up wouldn't make it warmer imo. The VDH you are using is well known for taming forward sounding electronics although I never found this to be true to my ears. Dyn's treble is very natural so it shouldn't contribute to the brightness problem.

A

Anonymous

So speaker cable may be the answer then?

Seen some Nordost Blue Heaven Rev II Speaker Cable on ebay, Thaiman if i remember rightly your not a lover of Nordost but am i looking in the right area?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
No!!!!!
Although I think interconnect sound very similar for around £100/pair, speakers cables however can make a different and Nordost is very bright!!! I have a very similar problem with my last system (Krell 400Xi, Classe cd101 and Neat MFS standmount) and Nordost make them sound compressed and bright!

A

Anonymous

Looks like an amp or a cd player change, any thoughts

A

Anonymous

Thaiman

Just for info went to local hifi dealer and got some chord odyssey 2 speaker cable on home trial, made quite a difference but its not perfect, any suggestions on over cable

Chris

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't know much about odyssey 2 but £17 per metre so don't buy them if you are not fully happy with it! Cables that roll off up top would be DMN reson, Cardas Neutral Reference (not roll off but liquid treble sound is easy on the ears), Vann Damme (studio cables, excellent stuff...cheap doesn't mean bad).

I still think you should get the electronic right first then choose the cables though but either way good luck.

A

Anonymous

in terms of electronics amp or cd player change that is the question?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts