BR5 vs RX2

gvlada

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post. I have stereo and surround together in same room, which is 15 square meters (5x3m). AVR is Onkyo 706, stereo amp is Marantz PM7001 KI and a set of speakers Monitor Audio BR5 as front, LCR as centre, two pairs of BR FX for surr rear and back, sw is REL T2. Marantz is connected with BR5 for surr front and stereo. I am unsure should I upgrade fronts to RX2. I still haven't heard them but I would like to ask you for your opinion. Here in Serbia, they are 100e more expensive but they do have 8" bass. If somebody could compare them. Thanks in advance.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

The BR5's are good speakers, but they're no match for the RX2's, which are more refined (and smoother) in the treble, more accurate in the midband, and a fuller, punchier bass. The only problem is that if you change the BR5's for RX2's, you may be ok with the BRFX, but you'd also have to upgrade the BRLCR to the RXLCR.

gvlada

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for reply. For stereo RX2 is the way to go. MA shoud make some stands for them :)

Is there such a difference when you say I'll need to change a center too?

gvlada

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Another speaker pair I saw http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-81-ii-overview/ this model will be available soon.

Some say that Marantz and Klisch generaly have sinergy, but how good is Klipsch with Monitor Audio?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gvlada: Thanks for reply. For stereo RX2 is the way to go. MA shoud make some stands for them :)

Is there such a difference when you say I'll need to change a center too?

Matching centre spers are generally made with the same quality drivers, cabinet a crossover components, so have the same 'voicing'. The front three speakers are reproducing around 80% of what you're hearing, and it's the centre producing the majority of that - anything on the screen will be coming through the centre speaker, not just dialogue. Of course, for a 'real' matching centre, you have to use exactly the same speaker as front left and right - but that's another story
emotion-1.gif

As far as stands are concerned, try Atacama's HMS2 stands - large top plate, large bottom plate, and very stable. If they're a little too much, try their SL stands which are similar dimensions.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
To an extent. The RX1's don't have the cabinet volume of the RX2's, or the larger mid/bass driver, but they do have the more refined treble and better midband. The RX2's have a real bass weight advantage, but not so the RX1's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts