Bose Lifestyle 35 and NEW AV Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Long story short - I fell for the Bose marketing scam and purchased a Lifestyle 35 system some years ago. I have now seen the light that I really need to get rid of the grey box and get a proper AV Receiver to get proper sound quality. I want to keep the speakers however.

At present I have the following equipment:

Pioneer LX5090

Bose Lifestyle 35 and Cube Speakers

Sky HD

Sonos

What I would like to do is:

a) Get a quality AV Receiver that can power my Bose Cube speakers and give me optimum sound and picture quality. My Budget can stretch to max £1000. However it would need to seriously blow away a £400 receiver to pay that.

b) Get a quality Blu Ray player that can link with my TV and AV Receiver. I was thinking along the lines of PS3 slim however if the quality of a dedicated Blu ray player really made a difference then guidance here.

Any recommendations would be appreciated......!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
to be honest, I don't think you'll get great results powering Bose speakers
with a "normal" A/V Reciever. Their speakers are designed to work with their (I guess this is the word) units. The question is - whether the speakers are linked to the "big black box" or to the DVD unit.

If they are hooked-up to the big box, then that's an amplifier and a sub-woofer -that means it is very unlikely that you can hook-up the sub to your new amp, so there's a whopping great hole in your sound field.

If they all hook-up to the DVD unit, then the question is whether the sub-woofer is an active (i.e. amplifies itself internally) or passive (relies on the dvd unit to drive it). A passive sub cannot be hooked up to a traditional home cinema reciever.

These are just my thoughts - I have no significant experience with Bose, so you may be better flogging the lot on a popular auction site, and getting a new home cinema from scratch...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts