Boomy Bass - Blu Tak?

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
As part of my move to 'warm' the sound of my system i placed some blu tak under my speakers, Celestion F10 sat on Atacama. I now find the bass a little muddled, so have taken the blu tak back out, would filling the stands help with this boomy bass? System (Marantz CD600, NAD 320 Bee, QED Silver Nniv Biwire) is setp up so speakers about 20-30 cm from wall, although on has window behind it, should I try and move?

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

stanleyk:
As part of my move to 'warm' the sound of my system i placed some blu tak under my speakers, Celestion F10 sat on Atacama. I now find the bass a little muddled, so have taken the blu tak back out, would filling the stands help with this boomy bass? System (Marantz CD600, NAD 320 Bee, QED Silver Nniv Biwire) is setp up so speakers about 20-30 cm from wall, although on has window behind it, should I try and move?

Thanks in advance

That's interesting. Sounds like you should fill the stands and put the blutak back to ensure good stand-speaker coupling. To adjust the tonal balance to slightly warmer try pointing your speakers straight out as opposed to any toe-in. Treble is very directional and 'beaming' it to the listener can make things a little bright. The trade-off will be image focus but there'll be a compromise somewhere.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Any tips on what to fill with? I looked at kiln dried sand at Homebase today but there seemed to be alot of moisture on the inside of the bag. Will put blu tak back once filled, there was noticeably more bass, however as i said a little boomy/muddled.

A

Anonymous

Atacama Atabites are a very good option but a little pricey. I bought bog standard sand and dried it in the oven , a very odd way to go about it!

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Use Atacama'a own gel pads instead of Blu Tak, they provide much better seperation. After that you'll just have to keep experimenting with positioning until your ears tell you you've hit the sweet spot

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Atacama Atabites are a very good option but a little pricey. I bought bog standard sand and dried it in the oven
emotion-11.gif
no your not odd, done the same thing myself, it has to be moisture free, i also used large sandwich bags !

stops any sand leaking....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts