Bluesound Powernode (2021)

RayG

Oct 29, 2021
Visit site
Agree that the new Powernode is a solid performer. I transitioned from the Node 2i to the Powernode this past summer and have really enjoyed the clarity and soundstage on my Magneplanar 1.7i setup (recently upgraded from vintage Maggies). When the new Powernode arrived, I was already auditioning the Marantz PM7000N, so I had a chance to run them side-by-side for a couple of weeks. In my rig, I preferred the soundstage, imaging, and neutral sound of the Powernode. It was just immediately more engaging. And the Bluesound handles the power-hungry Maggies just fine in my modestly sized listening room. Dynamics are comparable to what I hear with my higher-powered integrated. The BluOS is pretty intuitive and easy to use, but perhaps with a less rich features experience compared to the native apps for Qubuz or Amazon Music.

BVillet

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
I must admit I am stunned that you would give a 5 in features to a device that does not support Chromecast. Chromecast is an essential tool today for discovery and exploration of music and most of Bluesound's competitors provide this functionality. Without Chromecast this device is as crippled as a turntable with only a mono stylus
What makes the matter worse is that as of this morning Bluesound has cut off communication with owners of their equipment on this issue

tbrobison

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
Recently set up a stereo system for our apartment which is totally satisfying me and my wife(mostly me, though). With just two ingredients (okay, I'm not counting internet, router and such, or subscriptions to music streaming sites) we've got an incredible audio system.
A Bluesound Powernode and Fyne Audio F302's. This is crazy simple and the sound is superb! Since having a Bluesound Node 2i at our home, the Powernode was easy to set up and is just so small and minimalistic. I'm ecstatic!

rvdoever

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
Why do reviewers never notice this long standing issue, also complained about in many other threads on the BlueSound forum but completely ignored by their totally disinterested support staff with no desire to fix this or offer the option in an update to deactivate the default 50ms delay through the amp. The ticket I raised also did not solicitate a decent response.
So I returned my PowerNode 2i because of it (well also had an issue with hum using analog inputs) and bought the Cambridge Evo75, both issues gone of course.

tbrobison

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
Why do reviewers never notice this long standing issue, also complained about in many other threads on the BlueSound forum but completely ignored by their totally disinterested support staff with no desire to fix this or offer the option in an update to deactivate the default 50ms delay through the amp. The ticket I raised also did not solicitate a decent response.
So I returned my PowerNode 2i because of it (well also had an issue with hum using analog inputs) and bought the Cambridge Evo75, both issues gone of course.

I had no idea about the problem you are mentioning here. I am a two channel stereo guy and don't have my television connected to the powernode. Good to know, though!

manicm

The new Powernode has an HDMI port for connecting your TV to, so I would imagine this would not be an issue anymore.

Reactions: tbrobison
I can imagine your frustration. This to me seems like the age-old compatibility issue that any decent dealer could advise a potential customer about. (Unrelated, but equally frustrating issues arose in the analogue LP era, especially with cartridges and turntables)
The trouble is that buying by mail order after reading a magazine review is no substitute for getting proper advice. However, Bluenode could seem mire interested. I wonder how Cambridge manage it?

rvdoever

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
I can imagine your frustration. This to me seems like the age-old compatibility issue that any decent dealer could advise a potential customer about. (Unrelated, but equally frustrating issues arose in the analogue LP era, especially with cartridges and turntables)
The trouble is that buying by mail order after reading a magazine review is no substitute for getting proper advice. However, Bluenode could seem mire interested. I wonder how Cambridge manage it?
The Evo is just not setup with a default 50ms latency. This may be required when grouping, but it schould be a configurable option, not too hard to add in the software I would think.

HamishDalziel

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Nope, there isn't. Well, to be fair, there was one for me: returning the unit!
Thanks, as I live in Switzerland (where the 14-day return option usually does not apply) you have saved me from a frustrating and expensive mistake.
(And it's really worth following the link to the actual Bluesound support thread, the company's attitude is eye-opening.)
Does anyone have another idea for a compact amplifier with at least HDMI-ARC and Ethernet connections? The Cambridge is nice but I cannot justify the price...

rvdoever

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
I did extensive research around July and came to a shortlist in order of price of PowerNode, Cambridge Evo75, NAD M10. The PowerNode turned out to have this latency problem, so I visited a dealer to listen to the Cambridge Evo75 which exactly met (and still meets) my requirements. I didn't need any of the additional in- and outputs the Evo150 has, so choice made.

Later saw the slightly cheaper HiFi Rose RS201E (with HDMI + Ethernet) which may also be a good option for you.
None of the other amps I checked had the combination of features I liked to see which also included HDMI and Ethernet.

HamishDalziel

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Later saw the slightly cheaper HiFi Rose RS201E (with HDMI + Ethernet) which may also be a good option for you.
None of the other amps I checked had the combination of features I liked to see which also included HDMI and Ethernet.
Thank you very much , I have now found an alternative solution ;-)

Before, I had used the analog line out of my old TV to have the TV sound run through my stereo system. At one point I got a new TV where the analog out couldn't be adjusted with the TV remote, annoying my wife.
So I *thought* I wanted something with HDMI-ARC (and Ethernet for streaming), but as it's going to be mostly TV sound, I am reluctant to spend CHF 2k on it.
I re-thought the issue and opened my TV to unplug the speakers. Interestingly, the TV now thinks that the analog out is to headphones and allows to adjust volume through the remote. And as I have always been very happy with the analog stereo TV sound, the solution now seems to be to get a Yamaha WXA-50 which has Ethernet and analog.
(I should probably add that soze of the device was important, too.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts