BlueRay Vs DVD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The only results I have been able to get back from this search is the comparison betweet HD-DVD and BlueRay.

Not quite what I am after.

I have the Panasonic TH-37Psomething 70 with a Denon DVD-1740. I love it. I have a couple of friends who have recently purchased the 40" Sony and love it also. My wife and I dont share their enthusiasm. The reason for this is that the normal TV signal looks terrible (despite my best attempts to tone down the colours to something resembling normal) and they are using quite old DVD players and SCART. I realise this may change when feeding it Blueray but this will not happen for some time. esp when discs are still priced where they are.

Now comes the point of my question. I would like to get some feed back from folks as to whether BlueRay was a huge event for them as opposed to standard DVD on a 37" set. I have read that there really is not much of a difference between 720 and 1080 below a 40" screen size. With this in mind, I can't help but think that from a value for money factor I will be better off staying with the DVD player I am extremely happy with presently.

I put this to the people............

A

Anonymous

I currently have a 40" samsung, and yes blu-ray is a huge step up. The colours are a lot more vibrant and the detail is unbelievable. I cannot wait to get my new surround sound system to see how much of an improvment sound is over DVD

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The differance between BD and DVD in terms of definition is quite obvious when directly compared but IMHO this is more apparent the larger the screen you are viewing on.

But if on your 37"" Plaz you are happey with the picture I would not get too worried about BD as of yet as both the players and discs will come down in price over time, but personally I am not so sure it will ever overtake the sales of DVD due to the size of the established market for DVD sales and just how cheap both DVD players and discs are.

I have a 50"" Full HD Plasma and yes BD does look sharper and more vivid colours than DVD but DVD upscalled to 1080p via my Denon DVD3930 is not a million miles away.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Broadly speaking it's true.
1. Blu looks better than SD DVD.
2. The bigger the screen the more apparent this is
But:
A good upscaler can look pretty damn good, though. And a poor BD disc can look pretty damn crappy (cue The Fountain, anybody...). For me, the kicker is that my BD player upscales beautifully, too so I get the best of all possible worlds.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a 37 inch LCD Panasonic LZD85 and the Panasonic BD35 Blu Ray player. The Telly has Full HD as well as 100HZ and 24fps and other various techno xy colour etc. Unfortunately my previous DVD Recorder was a Sony before upscaling and Hard Drives were built in so I noticed the difference straight away. When comparing Sky HD against normal resolution you can see the difference.with lush colours and more details in the background compared to SD. However when comparing X Men the Last stand on Blu-ray v DVD, there was only a subtle difference with the Camoflauge pattern on the clothing more noticeable and better definition on the tarmac on the San Francisco Bridge and the flames/explosion show better detail on the BD version. You will notice the difference on this screen size but if you have got a good upscaller on your current player then you do not need to shell out on a Blu Ray Player unless you want too. For me it made sense as my Recorder did not have the upscalling option. Hope this helps.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sensible advice I think. The only other thing to consider is the audio. If you've got a nice surround system which can take advantage of the extra detail contained in the HD audio soundtracks, then this might be a good reason for an upgrade over the DVD version. At the end of the day, it's up to you as to whether you think the extra outlay in cash is worth it or not.

A

Anonymous

i really think hd sound is better by a mile- on music blu ray uncommpressed sound stands out- and on films the sound is not as bright and piercing as dd and dts can be - i only hope they start realeasing a lot more music blu ray discs try tony bennett - legends of jazz- and celine dion all blu ray disc to have as demo discs.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
.....and as we seem to be getting quite eclectic, music-wise, I think that the Hairspray Blu-Ray in DTS-Master 7.1 is the most astonishing music soundtrack I've ever heard.

A

Anonymous

A concern is that as more and more good quality transfer BD's are produced by the film studios that they will start to downscale their production of cheaper DVD's many of which too, particularly if you like watching some of the old classics from the golden age of the 50's , have been badly transferred to DVD

Generally speaking though I am also one of those people who is not entirely convinced, from what I have seen, that there is a massive difference between Blu Ray and DVD on a display say up to 42ins

Sure there is more detail and more depth on a BD a picture but it's not a million miles away from watching a good DVD transfer..case in point...RV on DVD and BD...both looked great but I couldn't honestly say that the BD version was so much better that it warranted my running out to either my local Sony or Panasonic shop and buying a BDPS350 or DMP35 in preference to my my DENON DVD 1940

If however there were a BD player out there that could significantly surpass the upsacling abilities of my DENON I may just be tempted to change in the secure knowledge that it will breathe even more life into my current DVD collection...and then some...with BDs too

But I guess you may now be talking about the new £900 DENON DVD-2500BT Blu Ray Player which for many I dare say would present a false economy unless of course you have an amazing £2K plus display to use it with as opposed to anything less

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've mentioned before that the dropping prices of DVD's will lead to lower quality DVD processing/mastering, if it hasn't already.

I've yet to see a BD that doesn't look better than it's DVD equivalent, and that includes Escape From New York.

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Blueray is definatly better than dvd,if you have the equipment to take advantage of this,and with your panasonic,yes you have,the sound quality to me on my system is of a difference also,blurays are again less compressed data than dvd so the sound quality is pretty good,i have Die Hard 4 on Bluray with dts hd master audio soundtrack,trust me with the correct sound and vision system,its totally awesome

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Im really impressed by the quality of upscaled dvd's on my Pany42PZ85 through my PS3. But as good as they look Blu-Ray's are a big improvement in picture quality. Much cleaner picture,alot more detailed,better colour/contrast and the picture just jumps out of the screen. Really impressive 3D like picture just looks stunning. I watched Spiderman for my 1st Blu-Ray experience and it took my breath away. There's just no comparison to the dvd version.

I don't have an HD amp yet, but when my Blu-Ray collection grows I think an upgrade for my old Denon is deffinately on the cards.

Also the price of Blu-Ray films seems to be dropping all the time. And there seems to be quite a few movies on 3 for the price of 2 offers on Play for example. DVD's are a bit cheaper but with most of the newer films the Blu-Ray version is only about £2 more expensive.

I think for Bu-Ray to really take off the price needs to come down on both the films and the players. Only a matter of time though.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the thoughts on this this folks.

It pretty much confirms what I had been thinking. Still trying to work out why anyone would want to watch Celine Dion in BlueRay however. Understand the sound will be a big leap, but seeing as I am living in an apartment (with at the moment fantastic neighbours), and 2 kids under 3, I suspect the wife will not see my reasoning to upgrade because of the sound!!

I will now happily remain with my 1740.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts