Blue Ray 7.1 Analogue to 6.1 Decoder

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking at Blue Ray but I don't want to invest in a new decoder/amp yet. My current Marantz has 6.1 analogue inputs and I have a 6.1 speaker set up but Blue Ray players with full decoding and analogue outputs offer 7.1. How would this connect to my current amp, i.e. how do the two rear channels in 7.1 connect to my 6.1 set up. Do I just leave one connection out, does in matter which one?

Thanks

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Well interesting, my advice would be just connect 5.1. You can tell the Blu Ray player you only have 5.1 and it will take care of it.

Out of the few Blu Ray players I saw when auditioning, they did not allow 6.1 as an option as you could only turn off the speakers you did not have and the rears are paired.

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Hi Earnie, Normally hook up the left back on a 7.1 setup if you want 6.1

S.Jacob

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
The surround back channels are mono whereas the left and right surround ones are true stereo channels. My suggestion is to attach a ' phono splitter' to the suround back input of your AV amp. Run a pair of ordinary phono leads from the two surround back ouputs of your blu ray player and connect them to the two inputs of the splitter. That way you can utilise all the outputs from your blu ray player but you will need surround back speakers. Make sure you buy a good quality splitter and enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS