blu-spec cd

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Just bought one of these: Simon and Garfunkel- Rosemary, sage and thyme for £25.00 on cdjapan website. Should be interesting as to how it sounds :) has anyone tried a blu-spec cd before? Yes, I am bored- recovering from my operation...so bit the bullet- can't wait to listen to it

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:No I've never heard one but the wiki blurb is interesting so I'll be interested in your findings gb.I should get it within 3-5 days...so will post my what I think of it. My girlfriend has the normal cd so would be nice to compare the both :)

A

Anonymous

Hi gb

Yes I bought a Boz Scaggs blu spec and it cost me around the same price on cdjapan. I think firstly they are overpriced but the all important sound? Well if you listen to most Boz Scaggs albums the production is quite good anyway so I didn't notice a huge difference. The album I bought was 'silk degrees' and I also have it on standard cd. The difference I noticed with the blu spec was a little higher in the recording end of things.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
bluecafe1:
Hi gb

Yes I bought a Boz Scaggs blu spec and it cost me around the same price on cdjapan. I think firstly they are overpriced but the all important sound? Well if you listen to most Boz Scaggs albums the production is quite good anyway so I didn't notice a huge difference. The album I bought was 'silk degrees' and I also have it on standard cd. The difference I noticed with the blu spec was a little higher in the recording end of things.
Hi, can you explain when you say ''a little higher in the recording end of things''?

A

Anonymous

Well, some older cd's have a low sound quality and by that I mean you'd have to crank up the amp to get a decent volume. Then some cd's that have been re-mastered (which in my opinion is a rip off, why haven't they been mastered properly in the first place?) don't need the volume on the amp as high. Sound qualityis better too. Point being, if you buy a re-masterd cd then the quality in my opinion is as good as blu-spec. The theory is the blu ray lazer used in production gives more accuracy than conventional cd production. See here for more but Obviously when your cd arrives you'll have the final opinion. Please let me know what you think.

LINK REMOVED BY MODS - House Rules

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
bluecafe1:
Well, some older cd's have a low sound quality and by that I mean you'd have to crank up the amp to get a decent volume. Then some cd's that have been re-mastered (which in my opinion is a rip off, why haven't they been mastered properly in the first place?) don't need the volume on the amp as high. Sound qualityis better too. Point being, if you buy a re-masterd cd then the quality in my opinion is as good as blu-spec. The theory is the blu ray lazer used in production gives more accuracy than conventional cd production. See here for more but Obviously when your cd arrives you'll have the final opinion. Please let me know what you think.

LINK REMOVED BY MODS - House Rules

Cd arrived today- after a initial play through, I noticed more clarity. What I have not done yet is listened to the same track on a normal cd & compare it!...watch this space (..ok, you can't stop watching it now!!)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'd be interested to see if the two cds sounded different when ripped to a HDD losslessly - I have a sneaking suspicion they would be very similar if not identical. Provided they are both from the same master tape, obv.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
bluecafe1:Well, some older cd's have a low sound quality and by that I mean you'd have to crank up the amp to get a decent volume. Then some cd's that have been re-mastered (which in my opinion is a rip off, why haven't they been mastered properly in the first place?) don't need the volume on the amp as high. Sound qualityis better too.

Having to turn the volume up higher is not an indication of poor mastering or poor sound quality - quite the opposite normally! The wider the dynamic range (i.e. the difference in volume between the quietest and loudest sounds) of the material recorded on the disc, the higher you'll have to turn up the volume to get sounds like voices at the required level; everything else is then in proportion, although you'll find that the lound parts of the recording hit harder and higher reletive to everything else - precisely as they should.

One if the biggest enemies of sound quality at the moment is the modern trend of applying masses of dynamic range compression to recordings and remasters, designed to make tracks sound louder and therefore more attention grabbing and exciting on low quality replay equipment or in noisy environments, such as in cars, portable radios, all-in-one ipod docks etc etc. The whole dynamic range of the material is squashed into a narrow band which is just unrealistic and sounds worse on a decent set-up.

One brilliant example I have of this is a CD of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. On The Chain it starts off really quietly and I have to crank the volume to almost twice as high as I would normally have it, but when I do it sounds great and when the kick drum kicks it really punches and the bass guitar vibrates through your chest.

A

Anonymous

Do you know who mastered the Blu-Spec and your girlfriends CD? Vic Anesini did the most recent standard versions available. If not it would be good to check if they are the same. Otherwise without knowing if they are the same master there's no real way of being able to say what sound qualities are attributed to Blu-Spec or simply the master used.

Have fun!

fatboyslimfast:I'd be interested to see if the two cds sounded different when ripped to a HDD losslessly - I have a sneaking suspicion they would be very similar if not identical. Provided they are both from the same master tape, obv.

Surely that's the intended point of Blu-Spec though - to reduce read errors in CD playback. Spending a fortune on them to just rip to hard drive would defy the point?

Dan Turner:One brilliant example I have of this is a CD of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

Pre Bill Inglot's 2004 remaster then?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Manassas:
Surely that's the intended point of Blu-Spec though - to reduce read errors in CD playback. Spending a fortune on them to just rip to hard drive would defy the point?

I believe Mr. Everard made a similar point and tested this out in a blog entry on blu-spec and SHM CD editions.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Manassas:
Dan Turner:One brilliant example I have of this is a CD of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

Pre Bill Inglot's 2004 remaster then?

Yes - shortly after I bought it I saw that there was a more recent looking 'remastered' version and always wondered whether it was better or worse than my version. I guess you've given me the answer there!

A

Anonymous

Dan Turner:Yes - shortly after I bought it I saw that there was a more recent looking 'remastered' version and always wondered whether it was better or worse than my version. I guess you've given me the answer there!

Actually it's not too bad. Just loud (but is one of those rarer loud ones that in practice don't sound too clipped and horrible). Loudness probably done by the mastering engineer on direction given by the record company. Overall greater clarity / detail, but at the sacrifice of dynamics and balanced EQ. If you're a fan the current two disc version is worth getting, even if it just ends up being for the bonus material. I have both the 2004 one and an old West German 'target'. The older mastered version being my preferred 'go to' disc. There's a number of different CD masters of this album kicking around though.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
i have Nenes blu spec cd and all i must say it sound it better when playing with my bluray! litle more clear than when played with a cd player or the same bluray via usb! can that be because it is manufacture with a bluray laser that it sound better with a bluray?

ps. the sound was great (whitout comparing the same blue spec cd witha similar cd album)

ps.2 blu spec cd 2 is a new thing also

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Six and a half years between posts is the longest thread resurection I've ever seen on this site. There's surely got to be a prize for that.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
*biggrin*

ps. the difference i belive is not much thing but if the price is the same than regular cd why not try it *beee*

depending about if it a remaster i guess

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts