Blu-Ray with analogue audio output

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a pdp5090 and now I've got the picture settings better, it looks great with SD, and I fancy trying Blu-ray for about £250.

I still have a Yamaha 620 amp without HDMI so need a player with built in HD-audio decoder and connectivity I can use with this amp. I guess this means analogue out and 6ch in? I also presume this means when playing DVD's I will be using the players built in DTS/THX decoder rather than my amp's one?

So, are my choices only the Panasonic bd80 or Sony s550?

Thanks

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Carrera 1977.

Good luck with this thread, both Matengawhat and I have asked simlar questions believing that someone out there can answer these questions, re;

quality of upscaling of DVDs,

analogue out of Blu Ray and the quality of the signal and where will the sonic signature be, with the amp or............?

and now will DVD be via coaxial/optical and BVlu Ray via analogue out into a non True HD decoding amp (read non 1.3 HDMI)

Haven't had any takers to date I'm afraid, hopefully this will spur someone to give us a discussion

Bated breath and all that

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Hello

I used my Sony 550 with my old amp (pioneer AX3) via 5ch analogue for Bluray and coxial for dvd. I switched between the two so that if was playing a dvd with DTS ES etc i had the amp decoding the sound. Both those players will be fine, and will produce good pictures and sound. Though you may wish to look towards newer ,models. Like the Sony 760.

c.honda

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I, like Garth Man, am using a Sony bdp550 with an amp that doesn't have hdmi.

Also like Garth Man I am using the bdp550 to decode HD sound and using the amp to decode dvd's via coaxial cable.

The Sony bdp550 has now been replaced by the BDP560 which can be had for less than 250.00

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys for the responses to date, just one outstanding question.

I realise that coax/optical from the Blu ray player to the amp will leave the amp doing the work (as it were) and leaving the amp's sonic signature, will that be the same for analogue out from the BD player into the amp or does the amp become just a volume control for the input signals??

Would be really keen to undersatnd this.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be looking through the reviews on here and sorting myself out the best Blu-ray player for me I can find, and then a load of cable to plumb it in with.

The upscaling is something I need to check as I'm not sure whether my Kuro is doing it or the Pioneer DVR550HX which is my current player. I just connected the HDMI and let them sort it out themselves!

Fayanddavid, thats exactly how I would presume it would work, the player does the clever stuff and then the amp just works as a power amp.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Carrera 1997

Thanks for info, been reading up also on what to expect and some of the pitfalls aropund bass management, all beginning to make sense now iro analogue out

Next step, convince OH that we really do need a Blu Ray player.................almost there, might have to be an early Christmas present from me to me!!

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts