Blu Ray Sound issue - BDPS350

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I hope someone can help!

I recently purchased a Sony BDPS350 along with a Sony Bravia 40V4000 (the ol' Comet deal). After a few days i finally managed to get my Standard Def picture up to scratch.

Anyway, i'm not sure how to set my Blu Ray sound correctly. I watched my first ever Blu Ray film yesterday and the picture was fantastic but the sound although clear and dynamic was very quiet and 'removed'. I had to turn my tv volume up almost to the full 100 and i know that can't be right. It still wasn't all that loud. I'm only playing this through my tv speakers as i don't have a surround sound system (yet). The player is connected to the tv via HDMI lead. The film only appeared to offer the choice of Dolby 5.1 to me - and no standard stereo option or something similar. That may in itself be the problem. However, upon playing about with the player Audio settings i managed to make the DVD menu sound much louder but the film still had that quiet removed sound!

Is there anything i can do to remedy this problem or is it simply down to the audio option on the DVD menu (ie, only the single choice of Dolby 5.1). My tv sounds fine, my Xbox360 sounds fine. It's just me flamin' Blu Ray player!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Glen

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Glen73:
Hi All,

I hope someone can help!

I recently purchased a Sony BDPS350 along with a Sony Bravia 40V4000 (the ol' Comet deal). After a few days i finally managed to get my Standard Def picture up to scratch.

Anyway, i'm not sure how to set my Blu Ray sound correctly. I watched my first ever Blu Ray film yesterday and the picture was fantastic but the sound although clear and dynamic was very quiet and 'removed'. I had to turn my tv volume up almost to the full 100 and i know that can't be right. It still wasn't all that loud. I'm only playing this through my tv speakers as i don't have a surround sound system (yet). The player is connected to the tv via HDMI lead. The film only appeared to offer the choice of Dolby 5.1 to me - and no standard stereo option or something similar. That may in itself be the problem. However, upon playing about with the player Audio settings i managed to make the DVD menu sound much louder but the film still had that quiet removed sound!

Is there anything i can do to remedy this problem or is it simply down to the audio option on the DVD menu (ie, only the single choice of Dolby 5.1). My tv sounds fine, my Xbox360 sounds fine. It's just me flamin' Blu Ray player!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Glen

It's not your bluray player, it's the bluray discs!

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

Are they all like that then? If so i'm going to have to invest in a surround sound system and fast!

Regards,

Glen

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Glen73:Are they all like that then? If so i'm going to have to invest in a surround sound system and fast!
Let's just say they are and then you can justify the spend - believe me it'll be worth it!
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Glen73:
Thanks!

Are they all like that then? If so i'm going to have to invest in a surround sound system and fast!

Regards,

Glen

I'm not sure. Some give options for Dolby 2.0 which should be better but I would have thought there was a way for your screen to give audio from bluray. At the end of the day, the audio on bluray is as good, no better, than the picture!!

A

Anonymous

Hi can I ask how you got your standard def picture up to scratch?

I have the same TV and Bluray player. Well impressed with Bluray pic, not so much with standard DVD.

Also how do you view not anamorphic DVDs on this TV. I can't work it out!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
There are various sound options on the 350 which may be affecting your sound. ÿApologies if you've already tried this. ÿIn 'Audio' settings, you need '2ch PCM' to downmix multi-channel audio to stereo; if you're connected by HDMI, 'Audio Attenuation' shouldn't apply.

A

Anonymous

Hi Sorreltiger. Thanks for the advice. I'll try the setting you suggest tonight. I'm getting my next Blu Ray rental film through the post tonight so i hope it works! And yes, i am connected by HDMI.

Thanks very much!

Glen

A

Anonymous

Hi Pauldc,

I've just read your post today. Did you manage to sort out your standard def picture? Now you'll never get it to the quality of say, your old CRT set for example but i've managed to tweak it so it looks pretty decent now and believe me i thought it would be impossible when i first looked at the rubbish blocky picture. The way i corrected this was to scour this forum for settings that others had posted. I then cut and pasted four or five of them to an email, printed it out and tried them all at home. I finally settled on one. I've also noticed that over the past week or so the picture has improved even more, therefore i wonder whether it takes a couple of weeks for the new technology to 'warm up'? Maybe i'm just imagining things.

Here are the settings that i pasted together (together with the link to discussions over SD settings) - try them out and hopefully one should work for you:

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/143663.aspx - forum discussing settings for SD.

Backlight 2
Contrast 60
Brightness 50
Colour 60
Colour Temperature Warm 1
Sharpness 3
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Advanced Settings
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Live Colour Medium

Or:

Picture mode : Cinema
Backlight : 1
Contrast : 79
Brightness : 50
Colour : 55
Colour Temp : Warm 1
Sharpness : Min
Noise Reduction : Off
Mpeg Noise Reduction : Off
Adv Contrast Enhancer : Off
Live Colour : Low

Add MPEG noise reduction. (on low I think)

Or:

Backlight, 4
Contrast, 70
Brightness, 50
Colour, 50
Colour Temperature, Neutral
Sharpness, 5
Noise Reduction, Medium
MPEG Noise Reduction, Low
Advanced Settings
Adv. Contrast Enhancer, Low
Live Colour, Low

Or:

Picture Mode
- Cinema
Backlight - 3 ( I find when you lower it you do get slighty darker blacks BUT you don't get a accurate representation of what you are watching, it could be a bright sunny day and it looks cloudy. 3 seems to be just about right )
Contrast - 95 ( Makes things pop that bit more.
Brightness - 47
Colour - 50
Colour Temp - Warm 2 ( takes about a hour to get used but you get the best blacks, grays and motion from it )
Sharpness - 5 ( some put it to minimum but I like a little bit of sharpness so it doesn't look as blurred )
MPEG noise reduction - low

Power Mode - Power saving.

Picture mode vivid
Contrast 85
Backlight 4
Colour 60
Brightness 57
sharpness 14
colour temp, Natural.

Power saving mode on.

Full pixel mode on.

Regards,

Glen

A

Anonymous

Thanks Glen,

Great info, just tried one out, will print this off and try the others at some point.

Cheers

Paul

TRENDING THREADS