Blu Ray Questions (again)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am, about to buy a blu ray player.

I got two choices.

Pioneer BDP LX53 and the Cambridge 650BD. Which is better. Exact same price. The Pioneer is most of the time a true winner, but what about now and compared to the Cambridge.

I gonna buy it with a new Panasonic plasma, which is gonna get hooked up to my HK AVR 255.

THANKS

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
OttoG,

You will hear arguments for and against - that isn't going to help you decide.

What you need to do is demo both machines (if possible) and decide which is better to your eyes and ears.

Ronald

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Dude I would sell ya Harmon Kardon, and put that with your budget towards a new receiver and player. What speakers you running currently?
emotion-4.gif

You don't need to spend hundreds on a player

A

Anonymous

Garth Man:
Dude I would sell ya Harmon Kardon, and put that with your budget towards a new receiver and player. What speakers you running currently?
emotion-4.gif

You don't need to spend hundreds on a player

Im not selling my receiver. It only a year old, and has plenty of power and connections and 7.1.

I only have fronts and a sub at the moment.

AudioPro Mondial M3 fronts. I haven't decided yet on the rest.

AudioPro Subwoofer B2.27 ( I think thats the name), It only has 200watts. But there are two speakers pointing left and right. Considering its size it packs a punch. - Cause watts aint everything :). Actually sounds bigger and stronger than my friends 600w sub.

My budget is roughly 1600pounds and for that I can get the Panny TX-P50V20 and either of the two blu ray. Of course you can get cheaper stuff, but I want something kinda good. Another good augment is that the Cambridge can be multi region

Thx

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I bought a sony s570 to go with my Panasonic V20.

I am still amazed by then picture quality and features delivered by the Sony. Dont think you have to spend more. With a player this good I really cant understand the need?

Build quality lets it down, but nothing else.

A

Anonymous

It's hard to decide. I like the price and reviews of the sony. But the 650BD can be multi region in a heart beat, and the same goes for the Pioneer.

Gonna decide by the end of the week - me thinks

What do you exactly mean by multiregion? For DVDs, or for blu-rays as well? Most of the blu-ray players including Sony can easily be multiregioned for playing DVDs.

Do you really want a player that's multizone for blu-rays? How many US zone A blu-rays have you got? Is it worth the extra £150 or so, for a multizone blu-ray player? I think it's waste of money if this is the main reason for spending the extra cash & you don't have a significant blu-ray collection.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
There's two ways I can see on deciding this - either one has functionality that the other does not and that you need e.g. the Pioneer lacks analogue multichannel outputs, will not play DVD-Audio or SACD, and is not multi-region DVD out of the box. The Cambridge Audio can do all of these. If you need any of these things therefore, it's simple - the Cambridge Audio is the one for you.

Otherwise, if you're just after which is the better Blu-Ray player for that and that alone, then auditioning is key to find out which is best for you. I think without actually going to audition them for yourself, you may as well pull the name out of a hat and go for that one.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I bought two Cambridge products. They both broke just out of warranty. I wouldn't buy anything made by them again as a result.

On the other hand I have never had any Sony hardware go faulty - just my experience I know.

Blu-ray Audio/Video is excellent as is upscaling fom DVD's. The Sony is multiregion updatable via the oneforall hack, or you can buy them modded for £20 more.

I'm sorry to keep going on about them, but the networking features on
the Sony blu-rays (iplayer/lovefilm/dnla) are absolutely superb, and I
feel they are supported with far more gusto than other manufacturers
(with the exception of Samsung) via software updates. Neither the
Pioneer or Cambridge have these facilities. For me it was the dealbreaker.

Go on - save yourself some money
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for the feed back.

I do travel a lot, but I don't have any BR discs yet- non at all. Only DVDs, which are from most of the world. I just dont like the fact that I am shackled to a region. The shackles!!

If the Cambridge is bad quality, then that might not be it for me.

As for networking features, the TV would have those features. Besides, there is not much online content here in Denmark. Its all new for them. And buying a remote would be kinda lame for only that purpose.

An audition would be in order then. Let the games begin.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts