Blu-Ray Panasonic DMP-BD55 or Pioneer BDP-LX71?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Advice please!

I want to buy a good quality Blu-Ray player to go with my Pioneer LX5090 screen.

WHF describes the Pioneer BDP-LX71 as in a "different league" so does it make it significantly better (for the extra £200) than the Panasonic BD55 (or even the BD35) which has had great reviews? Is either likely to be better at upscaling my dvds or would my Pioneer screen do a better job anyway? Are there significant practical advantages in having the two Pioneer machines working together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Marbella:
Advice please!

I want to buy a good quality Blu-Ray player to go with my Pioneer LX5090 screen.

WHF describes the Pioneer BDP-LX71 as in a "different league" so does it make it significantly better (for the extra £200) than the Panasonic BD55 (or even the BD35) which has had great reviews? Is either likely to be better at upscaling my dvds or would my Pioneer screen do a better job anyway? Are there significant practical advantages in having the two Pioneer machines working together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi marbella

According to my dealer there is a cheaper version of the BDP-LX71 forthcoming. I'll doubt it will sacrifice much if anything in facilities or picture quality, the pace technology is moving at, but will be priced around the £450 mark. I probably wait for this myself being in need for a good BR player myself for my 5090 but I'm sure the BD55 is a very good player too.

regards

A

Anonymous

HI Drummerman

Thanks for takng the time to comment.

WHF have recently reviewed the cheaper model, the LX61 and were very disappointed with it - "This Pioneer promises much, but while its functions impress, the basic
level of performance just isn't good enough to justify the price tag".

I hope that this might help your search!

Has anyone been able to compare the BDP-LX71 and the Panasonic BD55 at WHF headquarters?!!

Regards

Marbella

A

Anonymous

Hi Drummerman

Following my last post I've just noticed that the LX61 is actually a DVD recorder - Apologies but these similar codes are so confusing!! - so I would be interested in hearing what you find out.

Regards

Marbella

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, we've tested the Panasonic DMP-BD55 vs the Pioneer BDP-LX71 - it's why both feature in our 2008 Awards: the Pioneer represents a step up from the Panasonic, especially with DVD upscaling, that justifies its premium.

However, we'd add a caveat that the Pioneer will only come into its own if you've a great-quality, decent-sized TV set (at least 42in+) - its improvement over the superb Panasonic could be wasted on a smaller/inferior display.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare

Thank you so much for your really helpful reply.

As we have a Pioneer PDP-LX5090 I can now feel confident that we'll reap the benefit of buying the Pioneer BDP-LX71.

Incidentally, would the Pioneer SC-LX71 be a good receiver to go with these and the B&W MT30s?

Many thanks again!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We haven't yet tested the Pioneer SC-LX71, but the SC-LX81 is another of our Award winners - it'd be a superb match for that player and set (I think you'd even just be able to use a single remote control!), and plenty powerful enough to drive the B&Ws (the PV1 will LOVE that much grunt...)

Why not hear the '71 and the '81 when you audition your kit, so you can see if the cheaper amp does everything you need?

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

We haven't yet tested the Pioneer SC-LX71, but the SC-LX81 is another of our Award winners - it'd be a superb match for that player and set (I think you'd even just be able to use a single remote control!), and plenty powerful enough to drive the B&Ws (the PV1 will LOVE that much grunt...)

Why not hear the '71 and the '81 when you audition your kit, so you can see if the cheaper amp does everything you need?

Hi Clare,

Would there be any justificatioin to upgrade from a PS3 to the LX71 based purely on sound quality alone, and would there be a notable difference in picture quality if i upgraded my TV from a 2 year old 37 inch Panasonic Plasma to a Sony KDL40w4500 used with a Pioneer LX71 rather than a PS3.

Id really appreciate some help, struggling to get some answers.

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All depends on the rest of your sound system - what receiver/speakers do you have?

However, don't rule out the mid-range players such as the Panasonic 55 or the Sony BDP-550 - both represent a significant sound and vision improvement over the PS3 (for DVD and Blu-ray) and should be more than enough for a 40in set.

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

All depends on the rest of your sound system - what receiver/speakers do you have?

However, don't rule out the mid-range players such as the Panasonic 55 or the Sony BDP-550 - both represent a significant sound and vision improvement over the PS3 (for DVD and Blu-ray) and should be more than enough for a 40in set.

I've got a Pioneer LX01 Home CInerma System.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Then the Pioneer player is overkill, IMO - save your money, get the corking Panasonic/Sony player and spend what you've saved on a pile of lovely Blu-ray discs!

A

Anonymous

Hi clare

Just picked up on this thread as i have the same decision to make.

Currently own a Sony 46W4500, and have set on adding the Onkyo 806, B&W 685 kit and the panny BD-55.

On my Size screen is there any point of the Pionner LX71? Plus Your review states the pioneer does not do DTS-HD Master Audio, yet the Pioneer web site states it does. Is this due to upgraded firmware?

Also any opinion on my reciver choice. Just as the Yamaha's are like gold dust and the Onkyo is £100 cheaper.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS