Blu-ray Home Cinema Systems?

tom_mk

Dec 27, 2007
Visit site
I currently have a Panasonic TH-37PX80B which is soon likely to be accompanied by a Topfield TF5810PVRt. I have an old Sony DAV S550 (S-Master 5.1 channel DVD Player/Full Digital Amplifier). I bought it years ago based on a What Hi-Fi review and was very impressed - the quality for the cost seemed brilliant, and to be honest I think that it's still great today.

Ideally I want to replace the Sony system with a single Blu-ray system, however looking around there don't seem to be any Blu-ray all-in-one systems. Am I just looking in the wrong place / with my eyes closed.

I do like to watch movies with the surround sound effect, however the reality is that I'm not fanatical about the quality of the audio. This is partly due to the shape of our living room, long and thin 5m x 3m and if I'm honest, I probably couldn't tell the difference between a good system and a brilliant system. Due to the size and shape of our living room, I have been considering just going to a 2.1 system, virtual surround sound or clever wireless system.

Also if there was any way of doing it, I'd ideally like to put all my music onto a central resource and then be able to access it using various devices around the house. I'm guessing that this would somehow be achieved by a device which then input into the amplifier. One of the reasons for this is to minimise on the overall number of components in and around the room. (See paragraph below and all will make sense.)

I also have a six month old daughter - which should probably be considered in the general scheme of things, including overall cost, little fingers, how loud will I actually be able to listen to movies at. etc.

What I really want to avoid is getting so far down the road and realising I made a major mistake and things won't work together in the way I'd imagined they should.

My guess is that I'm probably asking a bit too much for this to happen all at once, but I'd really be interested in what people's solutions to the problem would be.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Blu-ray systems are still a rarity: we've tested two so far, and neither has been wholly convincing.

Panasonic's SC-BT100 system - you can read the review here - has the wireless option you're after, but sounds poor.

Samsung's HT-BD2 - read the review here - is a little better, but still not truly great, plus is probably a bit too many boxes for you (it's a full 7.1 system).

Sony has a new slimline model due out next month - see the latest news here - which also offers wireless rear speakers, but it's not cheap at £1500, and we haven't given it a full test yet (though we will be the first to review it).

Finally, Pioneer has another high-end option - the £2000 LX01BD - out imminently. We're testing it for our next issue, out 11th December.

I'd expect, however, lots more one-box Blu-ray systems to be announced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in early January - it's the traditional place for all the big manufacturers to preview their kit for the year ahead, and i'd expect a wide range of options to be revealed.

Oh, and the good news is that many of these systems are starting to support music streaming, too....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts