Blu ray & HD sound

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought an amp capable of giving HD sound from blu ray disc.I've only bought a couple of discs,i was looking at some yesterday & noticed that some were in DTS or D.Digital only which surprised me & as i'm at the moment only able to get HD sound,this to me is a bit of a let down.

I picked up the remake of Journey To The Centre Of The Earth which is i think quite recent & it was in D.D or DTS.

If i buy online i'll have to confirm that the disc has HD audio.

This raised another thought. Are the tv HD programs broadcast with HD sound or is it just picture.

If it's just HD pic i might just hang on to my crt a little while longer.

daveh75

Cliff1:

This raised another thought. Are the tv HD programs broadcast with HD sound or is it just picture.
No,there's no HD audio wth broadcast tv.... Best you'll get is DD5.1(where available)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cliff1: I recently bought an amp capable of giving HD sound from blu ray disc.I've only bought a couple of discs,i was looking at some yesterday & noticed that some were in DTS or D.Digital only which surprised me & as i'm at the moment only able to get HD sound,this to me is a bit of a let down.

I seriously doubt that's the case, HD DD and DTS are just extensions of the old DD and DTS codecs, which form part of the core track. Any amp capable of decoding HD audio will decode old fashioned DD and DTS. Have you actually tried it?

I picked up the remake of Journey To The Centre Of The Earth which is i think quite recent & it was in D.D or DTS.

That is a bit of a blunder from New Line but it's not THAT surprising, it took a while for DVDs to all feature 5.1 soundtracks, a lot of early ones were still only Pro-logic. Having said that JTTCOTE is a pretty recent film, so there's no excuse for it.

No, satellite broadcast simply doesn't have the required bandwidth for HD audio, you will often get DD but not HD.

If it's just HD pic i might just hang on to my crt a little while longer.

Ok, you'll be missing out though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Many discs will have the standard DD or DTS logo on the back, but the film itself will more than likely be DTS-MA or True HD. All new major movies will have HD audio of some sort. Because the sleeves are printed by outside companies, the information isn't always correct - a film may be 5.1 rather than 7.1 for example.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No he's right it seems, Journey to the Centre of the Earth ONLY has Dolby Digital, a number of reviews make particular mention of it a being disappointing. I don't know if it's because it has two copies of the film on the disc, 2D and 3D.

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I have also found that whilst some blu ray will default to the best audio, some do not, so you have to manually select the correct audio.

So the Dark Knight will start playing in DD5.1 and you have have to go into the audio settings to select the Dolby-TrueHD.
Other blu ray will load up and start playing DTS-HD Master or Dolby-TrueHD without having to select them?

So if a blu ray starts with DD5.1 I always check the audio settings to see if there is anything better hidden away.

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc

"Any amp capable of decoding HD audio will decode old fashioned DD & DTS".

Yes it does decode DD & DTS,my original post a bit mis- leading.What i meant to say is that i can hear HD sound through the amp but at the moment don't have tv capable of HD picture.Keep putting that off because i get a brilliant picture on a 36" pana crt,but might change end of this year.

When i last visited the freeview website I read that the intention is to begin broadcasting in HD through the aerial around that time in the Granada area.

Remains to be seen but i think i read that they are on schedule.

Thanks everyone

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts