Blu ray and headphone amps

recardopatrese

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a Projector for home cinema use. At the moment though I live in a flat and to avoid annoying the neighbours too much I thought I'd give headphones a go and leave the amp and speakers until later. I have the following already:

Blu ray player: Panasonic DMP BD-55

Headphones: Audio Technika ATH-M50

and thinking of getting the Epson EH-TW5910 projector.

The blu ray player (probably unsurprisingly) does not come with heaphone jack output. I have been looking for a way to connect my headphones to the bluray player which has lead me to headphone amps. I don't know much about headphone amps so does this sound like the best route to go down? Does something like the Fidelity Audio HPA-100 seem like overkill (or unsuitable) for this setup?

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I rather enjoy watching movies late at night through headphones (in fact, that’s all I use them for these days), but I would be a little concerned about your choice of headphones for this purpose.

Personally I prefer open backed headphones for a wider soundstage which a lot of closed backed cans don’t seem to offer, and reviews of the M50 indicate that it doesn’t seem to fare particularly well in this area (I have briefly heard the M50’s in the past through a friends iPod and although I was suitably impressed with the SQ that’s all I can comment on from memory). I can live with a narrow soundstage with music but if I’m watching a movie then I certainly need some space outside my head, otherwise there’s too much of a disconnect between what I’m watching and what I’m hearing

recardopatrese

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that's really useful information about the headphones. I mostly use them for music through my computer and haven't really tried them with films yet (I shall now). Do you have any suggestions for open backed headphones? Do you use a headphone amp or do you use something else? Thanks :)

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
looks like your blu ray player has an optical out which is good. now just get a dac & headphone amp combo and your good to go. i can recommend a beresford dac and use it with my sony blu ray player to good affect.

some of the older generation dacs (like mine on my sig) go for sensible money on the bay

recardopatrese

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for the direction to go in. Time for some research I think as there is more to it than I thought. I'll probably start with the dac and heaphone amp and see how the present headphones fare. Then replace the headphones with open backed ones as suggested as all of this in one go is starting to sound expensive :)

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people on other more headphone orientated forums recommend the Aune X1 dac and Nuforce dacs. Never heard either myself but im happy with what i've got anyways. Its very difficult/impossible to demo a headphone amp as most high street hifi shops dont have them on demo (i would love to be corrected though).

I own both closed and open headphones. I use them both almost 50/50. I use closed for music and open for films and games. I havent really found the 'ultimate' headphone yet but my philips x1's are open backed and great for films and games. Soundstage is excellent and you could wear them all day and not even know they were on your head. I love my audio technicas too but after about an hour they hurt my ears real bad.

For films you really need to get the most comfortable headphones you can.

recardopatrese

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have some shops near me such as Richer Sounds and some other less well know stores so I'll see what they have. As with a lot of purchases I tend to just take the risk in the end after online research on the technology and opinions.

I find it really difficult finding headphones that are comfortable (especially over glasses) for long periods of time but am happy with my audio technicas after ages going around trying on heaphones in different shops. I can understand the point though about what you are using the headphones for and may end up with the same as you with one set for music and one for films.

Thanks again.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
recardopatrese said:
Cheers for the direction to go in. Time for some research I think as there is more to it than I thought. I'll probably start with the dac and heaphone amp and see how the present headphones fare. Then replace the headphones with open backed ones as suggested as all of this in one go is starting to sound expensive :)

You may well be fine with the 50’s but you won’t know until you try them.

Many years ago I had a pair of closed phones and just couldn’t get on with them for watching TV etc for reasons mentioned earlier but again its each to their own. I currently use a pair of AKG K702’s which I find spot on for movie watching but they’re not to everyones taste (Marmite).

I wouldn’t get too hung up about spending a lot of money on a headphone amp for something like the 50’s as they’re very easy to drive. A DAC may be another matter, but on a previous set-up I had my TV was connected to my hi-fi via the stereo analogue outs and the sound was somewhat on the muffled/muddy side compared to what I was used to previously. Fed up one day, I wandered in to my local Maplin and took a punt on one of their £30 DACs and what a bargain! Did everything I wanted and couldn’t have been happier, but bear in mind I’m only comparing it for TV/movies not music.

Anyway, will be interested to hear how you get and please keep us posted. Good luck!

Edit:

I was in a bit of rush when replying earlier and having re-visited the thread let me put my thoughts down in a (hopefully) more coherent and constructive manner!

Headphones: You do not need high-end phones to listen to movies (my K’s were bought for music). There’s nothing complex about a movie soundtrack: the vast majority of what you’re listening to is dialogue and depending upon your tastes, bangs and explosions thrown in for action movies. As mentioned, my suggestion is for open backed phones for a wider soundstage but you will lose something in the bass effects department if that’s important to you.

DAC: As above. You will get far better SQ going the optical route than stereo outs but the DAC hasn’t got a lot to deal with either. Maplins DAC works fine and another cheap option would be a Lindy. However, they’re USB powered and your Panny BDP doesn’t have a USB powered port so that would be another £15 or thereabouts for a USB adaptor to plug in the mains.

Headphone Amp: As above, as above. If you do stick with your 50’s or any other low impedance phones they need very little to drive them. My main experience of headphone amps is with the Slee Novo but at around £250 that's total overkill!

Caveat: Just my opinions of course, and if you’re mainly going to be watching rock concerts rather than normal movies then you can throw out all of the above!

Final thoughts: All I’m saying is start small and take it from there. The demands on headphones and DACs is considerably less for listening to movies than music so it needn’t necessarily be expensive. I would strongly advise that you have some extended viewing sessions with your cans to see how you adapt. It can be an acquired taste and I know quite a number of people who hate it, but rather do that than buy an expensive projector which you don’t want to watch!

Anyway, again just my thoughts and good luck! :)

recardopatrese

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that Sizzers I really appreciate it. Starting simple sounds like a good idea and then adding in/swapping out pieces if I don't like the way it is working out. I actually have a Maplins a couple of hundred metres from me so I might pop in there and see what they have :)

recardopatrese

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
In case anyone is interested I now have the following setup:

Blu ray player: Panasonic DMP BD-55 (not 3D so I have a cheaper one that came free with the projector at the moment for 3D stuff)

Projector: Epson EH-TW6100

Headphones: Audio Technika ATH-M50

I have gone for a DAC from Maplin (£30) to start with. Its not quite a cinema sound experience but will do for now and not as bad as I thought it would be. The Audio Technikas are actually fairly comfortable for watching a film though once I put the Active 3D glasses on top of my glasses and then the headphones on top I'm starting to feel like I'm wearing some kind of combat headgear :)

Still trying to work out how best to switch between the XBox 360, Blu-ray player and Virgin Media as all have HDMI cables, the projector has two inputs and I am splitting the Virgin Media between the projector and the TV.

A lot more to equipment to explore once I have recovered from paying for the bits I have got so far...

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
One thing I'd seriously consider using headphones for movies, is making sure that your headphone amp has a remote volume control. (Many DAC/Headphone amps don't...even some expensive ones that really should (Antelope for example).

The way many movie mixes are mastered mean that most home users constantly have to turn the volume up during the dialogue bits and turn them down for action sequences and this need will be exacerbated by using headphones.

So actually ensuring that your DAC/headphone amp has a remote is not only a practical consideration, but a safety one too if you wish to preserve your hearing!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi, not a criticism but a question as to why you’re saying the DAC is not quite a “cinema sound experience”?

Firstly, you’re listening in two channel stereo clamped around your ears. God knows how many channels they have flying around in a modern day cinema as I haven’t been to one for years!, but as you know you’ll only try to recreate that with a proper AV system.

The DAC’s I suggested were to give you a cheap option for audio from your BDP. Each to their own but unless you have a passion for music movies I’ve never seen the point in spending much more than that on listening to dialogue and whatever crash/bangs/wallops.

There’s no mention in your set-up of a headphone amp so I’m assuming that you’re using the one with the Maplin: don’t bother it’s c***, which is where i think your problem may lie. I’m not going to suggest alternatives as the headphone amps I’ve bought previously Ihave been for music, not movies, but I’m sure others will have recommendations.

recardopatrese

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I've probably come across wrong. I am genuinely pleased with what I have now at the moment. I do intend to get speakers e.t.c though not quite yet. The cinema sound comment was more about the overall setup. I realise what I have is not the same as a cinema and was more tongue-in-cheek though that probably again didn't come across quite right :)

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts