Bit of DIY

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Pulled a Gotham GAC something out of a cable bag and am genuinely surprised how good it is for a simple, inexpensive interconnect. I haven't used it for some time. I remember some bad WH review but it is imo easily comparable to the £50 or so QED. If I remember right the Gotham cost me a tenner or so. Nice.

Which brings me to the point of this thread ... a bit of soldering and metering which I haven't done for some time. I have ordered a length of good quality, thick and well braided mains cable and a german made, plated plug. I will solder it directly to the board, no connectors. I have also ordered a 2m length of Furutech wire which I will make some interconnects from, RCA's not determinded yet.

Furthermore, some copperfoil is on the way which will be used to screen partitions of the receiver and I had this crazy idea of potting the substantial transformer and filling/isolating it with tar. If it is good enough for McIntosh ... just have to find a friendly gipsy doing a driveway! (I dont suffer transformer hum/noise but a bit of interference shielding can't be a bad thing). The digital board will be screened in its own enclosure too. Speaker cable will be next but I haven't decided on the detail yet. The Trafo is big and good and the supply caps are twin 15000uf Nichicon Fine Golds though I might add to that with a couple of 10000 Elna for Audio's which I still have.

It will fill a bit of spare time over Xmas ...

regards

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Do let us know how you get on. Pictures would be nice. Be sure to be careful with the tar - plays havoc with nail polish.

cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bth_006readyforposting_zps0cdadc31.jpg

bth_009_zps3af63013.jpg

bth_005_zps656b61e7.jpg

Sickly Marantz PM66SE. Amplifier board and faults traced to dry joints on Diode/Transistor.

Back with its happy owner(ess).

More to follow, including internal speaker re-wiring and other mods, changes to a Sony STR-DB930 etc.

Probably under a separate thread under miscellaneous.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Got the cables in to re-wire some speakers internally. For the HF units I've chosen QED silver micro ... I wasn't aware just how stiff the jackets are. Oh well, should be alright ... famous last words. Pictures to follow.

Can someone shift this thread to another place if more appropriate ... misc. ?

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts