Bit advice on a ? purchase, cheers!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As I say, looking for advice please!

Current set up is 46inch Samsung LCD, PS3, Xbox 360 (newest kind w/ HDMI), hard disk/USB TV.

Been toying with upgrading from non existent audio set up at the moment. Ideally I would jump straight for an expensive 5.1/7.1 but unfortunately I rent - my current set up (and next 15 months) is in a small box room, with TV on desk and couch on opposite wall, with room about 12ft x 7ft. With this in mind surround sound I imagine would be a waste of money in such a small area. It will be probably been 2-3 years before I own a living room to get a proper set up sorted. Worth noting would be thinking of sky HD in 18 months too.

With this in mind: I was toying with the idea on instead of going budget 5.1+ receiver, getting a decent receiver and x2 front speakers, especially considering my lack of space. I would then plan on, in say 2-3 years when have space getting the other speakers to complete 5/7.1 set up.

Would I be wasting money getting x2 good speakers and decent receiver in such a small room? How fast does this technology date - i.e. will I just end up having to buy a new receiver + speakers in 3 years? Should I just go very budget for receiver + speakers in this case or would is it worthwhile shelling out now with this mind?

On top of that: any suggestions models etc? Would look £400 altogether, but would certainly increase that to £500ish if was certainly worthwhile.

If its not the case of an £500 setup being wasted in such a tiny room I would certainly go for it.

So far my (novice) research has thrown up the following amps:

Yamaha RX-V467
ONKYO TXSR508 (if able to get RS for £180 ringing tomorrow)
Onkyo TXSR308
Denon 1911

As leaning towards TXSR508, looking at Tannoy SFX5.1 for £199

As I say its for Xbox 360 (HDMI) and PS3, mainly games, PS3 for bluray, SKYHD next year or two, 3D not needed.

Is there much between the above or should try to shop for the cheapest? Its difficult with deals as RS/amazon seem so poor stockwise with the above.

What would be peoples thoughts on speakers? If £200 for receiver, £200-300ish reasonable?

Had a look at Tannoy SFX5.1 for £199

Jamo A102 and Boston SOUNDWARE XS also seem to have some love, although a little more expensive I dont shelling the extra money if its worth it. Wont be doing replacing for awhile!

Leaning towards Boston Acoustics Soundware Xs 5.1 (£230).....?

Although Kef 1005.2? Although £400 would ruin on my budget

(KEF KHT1005.2B http://www.hispek.com/kef/home-cinem...ck-pd-4379.php ----> to good to be true? Is 2B mean B stock, as display model etc?)

Would love the Q accoustic 2000 but £550 is just to far I reckon, maybe if was defo worth it....

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Have gone for Denon 1911 For £250 (Peter Tyson) and Q acoustic £500 (SuperFi)

Good choice? Worth the extra cash (was thinking Onkyo 508 + Kef 1005.2 for total £550?)? Overkill for such as small room?

Let me know, still got time to cancel!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Have gone for Denon 1911 For £250 (Peter Tyson) and Q acoustic £500 (SuperFi)

Good choice? Worth the extra cash (was thinking Onkyo 508 + Kef 1005.2 for total £550?)? Overkill for such as small room?

Let me know, still got time to cancel!

Thanks

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
That seems a pretty sound purchase to me and good use of the extra budget you allowed yourself.
Of the amps I think the Denon is the choice, I was also going to recommend the Yamaha RXV667, but that is available at around £300 (so another bit of cash).
Did you get the speakers with the added cable pack which is a big saving on something else you'd have had to buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts