Birthday imminent.......wifi blu ray player?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Got the Sony BDP-S370 wifi-less blu ray player.......it's been great over the past few years.

Can't think of any other birthday present ideas at the moment, so possibly fancy a new player, and move my Sony to the office (next to the router!)

Ive noticed the award winning Panasonic DMP BDT220 now sells for £90 and the Panasonic DMP BDT320 £100.

Both offer wifi, but which (if either) would be a good move? Much difference between the two except the poorly received remote with the 320 model?

Any thoughts/comment?

Forgot to mention.......if I go 3d in the future (tv but not receiver), I would need two hdmi outputs (1 for receiver and other for tv). Would an hdmi splitter work for this purpose, or would I need a machine with 2 dedicated outputs? (Both mentioned machines only offer 1 hdmi output)

thanks......

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey Pistol Pete good to see you back :wave:

Tbh i dont think theres much difference in the two,the 320 having the twin hdmi of course,it has been seen for under £100 recently,curry's i think :?

GSB said:

Tbh i dont think theres much difference in the two,the 320 having the twin hdmi of course,it has been seen for under £100 recently,curry's i think :?

Panasonic curiously dropped the twin HDMI outs with the 320. So it has only 1 HDMI out. This has been rectified with the 330.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks GSB!!!

With both machines having a digital optical output, I assume I would be able to use it for bit streaming sound to the receiver and then use the hdmi socket to tv?

Not too sure if I will ever buy a 3d tv in the near future, more interested in wifi to be honest.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Got a 320 reserved at my local curry's now......£99.99.

Will the optical output idea work? The online manual for this machine seems to think so? Big boss, anyone?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Got a 320 reserved at my local curry's now......£99.99.

Will the optical output idea work? The online manual for this machine seems to think so? Big boss, anyone?

You won't get HD audio (ie Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA) through the optical output, which is kind of half the point of blu-ray if you ask me but other than that it'll work, yes. It would be more sensible to get a twin hdmi output player if you want HD audio.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for clarification on this.........

Guess I will have to decide whether or not 3d is something I will venture into in the next few years. I'm not a big fan of it, but may buy a 3d tv if my current one packed in....

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
I've just upgraded my old bd-55 panny for the dmp-bd320 which I picked up from currys for £99. I can report it was money very well spent.

I was originally looking at the dmp-bdt500, but at this price the 320 was hard to turn down. Much quicker load times and it might be a placebo effect, but colour reproduction has improved during 3d playback and ghosting appears reduced.

For the money I really don't think you can go wrong and looking at the specs of the 330 theres nothing extra it has that would have been any use to me or many other people. In fact I've seen a review that states there has been no noticeable improvement in performance from the 320

Honestly it's a steal at the price

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
bryster said:
I've just upgraded my old bd-55 panny for the dmp-bd320 which I picked up from currys for £99. I can report it was money very well spent.

I was originally looking at the dmp-bdt500, but at this price the 320 was hard to turn down. Much quicker load times and it might be a placebo effect, but colour reproduction has improved during 3d playback and ghosting appears reduced.

For the money I really don't think you can go wrong and looking at the specs of the 330 theres nothing extra it has that would have been any use to me or many other people. In fact I've seen a review that states there has been no noticeable improvement in performance from the 320

Honestly it's a steal at the price

Improvements are slowing down, as the technology has been around for a while now, I guess. It does seem to be a great price, and the 320 also looks better made than the 220 and 120 as it's less plastic-y.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
GSB said:

Panasonic curiously dropped the twin HDMI outs with the 320. So it has only 1 HDMI out. This has been rectified with the 330.
Sorry,must have been looking at the 330 specs :doh:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
PP,having watched 3D for over a year i can honestly say it's not worth worrying about,it's on the main a pleasurable experiance and certain films do look good,but if i wouldn't pay extra for it.

Pity you didn't look in the classifieds on AV forums a month or so ago,sold my panasonic 310(twin hdmi/wifi) :roll:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
PP,having watched 3D for over a year i can honestly say it's not worth worrying about,it's on the main a pleasurable experiance and certain films do look good,but if i wouldn't pay extra for it.

Pity you didn't look in the classifieds on AV forums a month or so ago,sold my panasonic 310(twin hdmi/wifi) :roll:

Shame.....although I do like the design and build quality of the 320! Picking one up in the morning.......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
It's a pity we cant advertise used equipment on whfi,let my mint 310 go for £90.

last time I was on here for any length of time, it had been mentioned that a classified section might be added. Guess nothing's changed then.....lol.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
With the quality of stuff guys on here own,and the frequency of upgrades i think it would be a great thing to add a classifieds section.

Bet we won't get a coment from the team tho...you missed the whole spam invasion :grin:

TRENDING THREADS