binding posts

Burnz0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi All. My friend asked me to take a look at his speakers as he didn't think they were working so i tested them on my amp and hey presto they appear to be okay, albeit with an issue on the binding posts. They have the bi-wire option and a couple of the binding posts have snapped off meaning it sounds like the connection between the low and highs isn't there so you can get either a very bassy sound or very trebly? sound depending which set you plug them into. In the process of messing around with them ive managed to snap another one off too.

I'd like to fix them for him (before he notices!) as it seems a fairly straight forward process but what i can't work out is how to connect them. They have little bolts on the back (once the main plastic box has been taken out from the speaker) so it would suggest they just unscrew but that is how i managed to snap the others. Is this likely to be just because the bolt has gone a bit stiff or do you need to get at them from behind with a tiny little spanner?

Finally, if i buy new ones will the cheapo ebay ones do? the speakers aren't particularly expensive and providing they work neither me nor my friend will expect anything more in the way of performance? and are they a standard size - 4mm seems to be the way?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
One of the common upgrades to carry out is to upgrade the metal links which come with the speakers, connecting Hi and Low frequencies together. In the past I've replaced these with high quality copper speaker cable - cut to length. Hope this answers your question. If not maybe best to post a picture so we know what you mean.

Burnz0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
sorry if i wasn't clear enough - what i mean is the binding post has completely snapped off. This means that firstly there isn't anything to push the speaker cable into unless i just pop it through the hole and hope it makes contact; secondly, the piece of metal that bridges the highs and low doesn't make contact with the terminal at the back (as the binding post normally creates this connection)

I see you can buy new binding posts but i was questioning how you go about connecting them and where would one find a small enough spanner for the bolt that attaches on the back?

ill post a picture if i get a chance but hopefully that was a bit clearer!

John Duncan

Should be easy enough to fix with something from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xbinding+posts&_nkw=binding+posts&_sacat=0&_from=R40

but a picture would be helpful - preferably with the backplate of the speaker removed so that we can see what it looks like on the other side?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I can't begin to conceive of how anyone could snap a binding post, never mind several!

But yes, the post is secured by the nut on the back, which often also connects the speaker with a ring terminal. So all you need to do is undo the nut, remove the post, measure the thread & buy replacements that will fit in the hole/ring terminal.

A kit like this is useful for getting at small nuts. Obviously measure the nut across the flats to ensure you buy the right size:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLSON-PRECISION-SWIVEL-SPINNER-PIECE/dp/B005UZIW4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386827463

Burnz0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
with surprisingly little effort... they main hand turning nuts were very stiff and as soon as i gave them any force they whole post on the external part of the speaker snapped off. Also, they look like they might have had glue added to them as there is an odd blue residue.

I don't think the tools in that link will be suitable as there won't be enough space behind to get at the nuts so thats why a spanner will be needed. The prong type things that come from the main speaker board to the plastic housing that hold the binding posts are welded on the speaker board side and i can see that they'll snap without too much effort. Ill see how i go doing them by hand first though as i don't really want to spend money on tools that ill probably never have any use for again in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts