Biggest suprise in the WHF Awards?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For me it was the Yamaha 763 winning best amp under £500 simply because the competition from Sony, Onkyo and Denon is a fair bit better specced. 2 HDMIs on a £400 amp? But then again I haven't heard it so, maybe it does sound that much better.

Your thoughts?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We talked a lot about the specs issue when we were judging, but couldn't get past the fact that the Yamaha is such a clearly superior performer than its direct price competitors (thanks to those Yamaha price cuts: this is essentially a £500 amp, remember). Those with more than two HDMI sources can always buy a splitter - or, indeed a different receiver; there's plenty of great choice! - but you can't add sonic ability...

A

Anonymous

Have to agree with Lewis somewhat. The 2 hdmi inputs were the only thing that put me off the Yamaha.

I am basically tone deaf, so probably could not tell difference between good sond and very good sound (But I did pick up on the boy band on X-factor being out of tune on the weekend, and I think Simon agreed with me).

I think that Clare is trying to say that the Yamaha's sound is so much better than the others. It gains more points on sound than the points lost from lack of connectivity. Fair enough. Then it should be the winner.

But in this budget end of the market, I feel that connectivity is very important. I do not think many people buying this would buy a splitter if they needed a third hdmi input. Instead they would buy a different model. Either a Sony 2400 at £390 or Onkyo 606 at simmilar price. Although I'm sure several would be trying to scrape together some extra money for the 863.

Monday, I have just ordered the Sony 2400 based on WHFI reviews. It ticks all the boxes for me and I think it sounds great. Many others will do the same. As many others will buy the Onkyo.

Boo

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
boopolo:I am basically tone deaf, so probably could not tell difference between good sond and very good sound (But I did pick up on the boy band on X-factor being out of tune on the weekend, and I think Simon agreed with me).
I did nothing of the sort.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:boopolo:I am basically tone deaf, so probably could not tell difference between good sond and very good sound (But I did pick up on the boy band on X-factor being out of tune on the weekend, and I think Simon agreed with me).

I did nothing of the sort.

Yes you did.
emotion-39.gif

Besides, I have two witnesses plus it on the sky hd hard drive.
emotion-11.gif

Boo

A

Anonymous

]Richard Melville:Lorenzo for the win...
So does that meanyou agree with everything i said?
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts