Biggest disappointment?

thehifidrug

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
As a newbie to forums I am sure this has been covered before, but having bought lots of hifi kit over the years I would be interested in fellow scribes experiences. I read lots of people raving about certain bits of kit they own or have owned but in the mad world of hi fi where there generally is always a new piece of kit on the market that you desire; I wonder how many people admit to being generally disappointed with a purchase despite buying with complete confidence at the time and what was it? I know it has happened to me on more than one occasion, the first many years ago when I let a Hi Fi store owner convince me into buying a pair of bookshelf speakers when floorstanders have always been my preference. It may have been down to the advice of a salesman, an over rated review, buying blind on 'brand' image, a store audition that just did not sound the same at home or just a poor product. I could go one step further, as music is the most important aspect of the Hi Fi world IMO, and it could just be the new album from one of your favourite artists that just did not match up to anything prior. Just interested but if no one is as daft as me I will just say Hello to you all!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dunno about hi-fi but on the music point my favourite group, Pop Will Eat Itself were reformed in 2011 by one of the original lewd singers but he's the only original member. The new line-up released an album and it's just utter dross, there's nothing in it remotely approaching what the did at their peak.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
thehifidrug said:
As a newbie to forums I am sure this has been covered before, but having bought lots of hifi kit over the years I would be interested in fellow scribes experiences. I read lots of people raving about certain bits of kit they own or have owned but in the mad world of hi fi where there generally is always a new piece of kit on the market that you desire; I wonder how many people admit to being generally disappointed with a purchase despite buying with complete confidence at the time and what was it? I know it has happened to me on more than one occasion, the first many years ago when I let a Hi Fi store owner convince me into buying a pair of bookshelf speakers when floorstanders have always been my preference. It may have been down to the advice of a salesman, an over rated review, buying blind on 'brand' image, a store audition that just did not sound the same at home or just a poor product. I could go one step further, as music is the most important aspect of the Hi Fi world IMO, and it could just be the new album from one of your favourite artists that just did not match up to anything prior. Just interested but if no one is as daft as me I will just say Hello to you all!

I think you are desciribing being drawn in by marketing hype. It will never change. You can mitigate it greatly by being aware of it and being realistic in your expectations.

I think every one of us has been there at some time or another.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Worst hifi disappointment?

Probably the pair of TDL RTL3 'Special Edition' I have gathering dust in the basement.

The original RTL3s were incredible speakers; the SEs weren't. Plummy, boxy bass and no treble definition to speak of. Magnets the size of 50p pieces on the bass drivers.

Only £190 down the pan. They've been on ebay twice and had no interest as I'm too honest about them!

Got me Studio 0.5s for £150 and they're a million times better.

Anyways, welcome to the forum! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts