Big Shout Out for Amazon Fire TV

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Bought one box for $100 at Bestbuy on Saturday. Was so impressed I went back and bought another two, and a fourth is on order from Amazon.

Took them home and hooked them up to our (wired) in home network and our Samsung 55-inch 4K TV. In under 30 minutes I had HBO and Netflix, and could have had a whole lot more. Picture quality is brilliant, although sometimes internet traffic (I think inside the house - the "little cherubs" or too many people trying to watch TV at the same time - rather than outside) can cause hiccups. Shows stop playing for a moment or two, that sort of thing.

$100 one-time payment for the box, spare (good but not stupidly priced) HDMI cable. Wired in-home network already paid for and we're paying $60 a month for 150 megabit internet service. HBO subsription is $15 a month, Netflix, I think, is $10, maybe $15, on top of that. We get our local TV stations, CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. over the air the old-fashioned way. A huge flat antenna cost me $90 plus $20 for a mast-head amplifier / splitter and $40 for two 8-way splitters inside the house - yes we have 15 TV outlets in our house - Roald Dahl's "Mike TV" character from "Charlie and the Chocloate Factory" was from Texas, remember.

So, for $400 down and $25 a month over our current internet cost, we get all the good TV we want and none of the dross we would be forced to pay for with a cable or satellite subscription.

Here in the US we would be looking at $150 plus A MONTH for cable service including HBO, Netflix, etc., but with almost universally total rubbish on most of the Channels, plus 4 times $25 a month to rent the set-top boxes, plus taxes, plus a surcharge every time the name of the day happens to include the letter "y", plus plus plus..... Our cable bill was routinely over $300 a month!

So for less than two month's cable service we have four TVs in the house set up for Amazon Fire, and our monthly outlay for HBO and Netflix is about the same as the monthly rental for one cable TV set-top box.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
the problems started to surface.

Firts, the units need to be re-booted quite often, i.e. pull out the power plug, count to ten, stick it back in. The units freeze up entirely or things like 4K suddenly stop working. Annoying but not life shattering.

And I suspect one of our three units may have packed up entirely... it won't respond at all after multiple reboots.

Time to stick an old coathanger in the back of the telly and live with it? Maybe....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts