bi-wiring

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
When bi-wiring my 8ohm speakers using my 65w x 65w amplifiers A&B terminals the speakers are now parallel at 4ohm. So is the 65w pair channel now divided into 4. so like 32w as if there are 4 speaker's connected

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
The actual impedance of each drive unit will depend on the speaker & crossover. I doubt this configuration will effect the power output at any given volume and it will not give greater or less actual volume. The tweeter impedance will most likely be much greater than 8ohm. The woofer probably 8ohm. Is this merely an academic question or is there a particular reason for the question?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In virtually all cases, when connected up using speakers A + B together the circuit/connections will be identical to connecting both sets of cables to either Speaker A or Speaker B and selecting whichever you use, absolutely no difference at all.

The amplifier will 'see' one pair of 8 ohm speakers, thats it, 65 + 65 watts if that is the rating.

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Main reason my onkyo a9050 amplifier drops from 75w pair channel at 8ohm to 65w pair channel at 4ohm bizarre I no. But says thick copper bus bars for easy low impedance drive. Don't want to biwire if power drops to much ad rather put the full 75w threw standard wiring if I am losing

something doing biwire

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
cal said:
Main reason my onkyo a9050 amplifier drops from 75w pair channel at 8ohm to 65w pair channel at 4ohm bizarre I no. But says thick copper bus bars for easy low impedance drive. Don't want to biwire if power drops to much ad rather put the full 75w threw standard wiring if I am losing

something doing biwire

Read my post again......*dash1*

Single wire, biwire, one set of terminals, both sets of terminals, it makes no difference.

Electrically it is identical, ok.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
cal said:

something doing biwire

Single wire, biwire, one set of terminals, both sets of terminals, it makes no difference.

+1

Chris

abacus

Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
cal said:

something doing biwire

+1

Chris

+2

Bill

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
cal said:

something doing biwire

+1

Chris

+2

Bill

Electrically it isn't the same. We removed the bi-wiring link plates and we doubled on audiophile speaker wire.

Vlad

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You guys ever tried running 2 pairs of full range speakers of a single terminal?

I.e of side A for example and driving them hard?

Then run them of A and B see if there is any difference?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
abacus said:
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
cal said:

something doing biwire

+1

Chris

+2

Bill

Electrically it isn't the same. We removed the bi-wiring link plates and we doubled on audiophile speaker wire.

Vlad

Helpful as always Vlad......*dirol*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
You guys ever tried running 2 pairs of full range speakers of a single terminal?

I.e of side A for example and driving them hard?

Then run them of A and B see if there is any difference?

Yes.

Many times.

And there isn't.

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Thats why I wanted advise as the manual to amp says when using speakers A and B together make sure you use speakers with a impedance of 8ohm or higher. The amp has a ohm selecter switch 4-8. So stating using speakers at 8ohm when biwired using A/B together will drop them to 4ohm so it sees 4 speakers and my amplifier don't give as much power at 4ohm as it does at 8ohm. Do you think bi-wiring would be bad in my case vlad

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
cal said:
Thats why I wanted advise as the manual to amp says when using speakers A and B together make sure you use speakers with a impedance of 8ohm or higher. The amp has a ohm selecter switch 4-8. So stating using speakers at 8ohm when biwired using A/B together will drop them to 4ohm so it sees 4 speakers and my amplifier don't give as much power at 4ohm as it does at 8ohm. Do you think bi-wiring would be bad in my case vlad

Where's the facepalm smiley?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
cal said:

The drop of impedance would be a concern only if you run two pairs of speakers in parallel. But for bi-wiring you have no worries.
Two pairs of speakers in parallel:8Ω + 8Ω= 4Ω 8Ω+ 6Ω= 3.4Ω 6Ω + 6Ω= 3Ω 8Ω+ 4Ω= 2.6Ω 6Ω+ 4Ω= 2.4Ω 4Ω+ 4Ω= 2Ω

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts