Bi wiring speakers???

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have noticed a number of reviews recently where it has stated that for a particular speaker bi wiring them has resulted in muddyig the sound so better off using single runs, my question is does the muddying disapear if bi amped if not why do speaker manufactures bother?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
matengawhat said:
i have noticed a number of reviews recently where it has stated that for a particular speaker bi wiring them has resulted in muddyig the sound so better off using single runs, my question is does the muddying disapear if bi amped if not why do speaker manufactures bother?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
When I first got my AVR600 the speakers were bi-wired, and I didn't hear a big (if any) improvement. The noticable improvement came when I used the 2 spare rear channels to bi-amp....very worthwhile.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i didn't mean for all speakers in some case very worthwhile - just meant in relation to from memory i think what hi fi mentioned it about apair of wharfs and a few others very recently

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I used to have bi-wiring but I did't notice improvement in SQ. I therefore suggest to use the same amount of money and buy a better quality twin-wired cable. However it is worthwhile to change the solid bridging plate at the back of your speaker with a good quality bridging wire.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
... I therefore suggest to use the same amount of money and buy a better quality twin-wired cable. However it is worthwhile to change the solid bridging plate at the back of your speaker with a good quality bridging wire.

This is the advice I've been given several times in shops. Bi-wiring seems to have gone out of fashion. 20 or so years ago, I managed to damage the tweeters in my SL6s (they turned black!) so I had them replaced by Celestion who also offered to split the X-over & fit a 2nd pair of terminals. As the extra cost was low, I thought What the Hell - I try bi-wiring that I was somewhat skeptical of. I bought a 2nd run of 2x 5m of Exposure cable (I cannot remember if I tried something else 1st) & was very surprised by the improvement in imaging. It was a big difference!

I've run my current bi-wire-able Totem Arros both bi-wired (with the same Exposure cable) & single wired. I've also single wired with some Naim solid core loosely twisted stuff lent to me. The single wiring was done with the supplied bridges. I also have use of an old Restek Challenger amplifier that images better than my own Primare i21. I have gone back & forth between the cables & wiring. The 2x7 (or so) metres of Naim solid core sound better than a single run of Exposure but the image, focus & depth opens up noticeably with bi-wiring. I also bought 16 good quality hollow-pin 4mm plugs that allow for the Exposure's rather thick wire. RS Ltd sell 4mm female to spade connectors that go under either amp's speaker terminals.

I haven't tried single wiring with cables rather than the bridges as some manufacturers now do. I think the answer is that your mileage may vary. It probably depends on the speakers, cables & whether or not imaging is important or not (I have friends who give little thought to its importance). I would advise anyone sufficiently interested to borrow suitable cable or just buy some fairly cheap stuff from somewhere like Maplin.

A

Anonymous

Mmmmm....bi wired for many years. Recommend a decent single run of cable. Real sounding music...voila !!! Dont know why I bothered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts