Bi-Wire - Use 2 separate cables or 1 cable with 4 connectors

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I know there are many posts around on this but i am playing catch up on my system with final tweakings.

My Arcam has 2 separate A&B speaker outputs - hence i can toy with bi-wire using separate output to the speakers.

The other option is to use one output and use a 2 cable connection from the amp to a 4 cable connector to the speaker such as Chord Odyssey 4.

The quesion i guess is whether there is significant benefit in using the 2 speaker outputs and separate 2 connector cables to bi-wire the Arcam. its nice to have the choice.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i'd use 2 plugs amp end and 4 plugs speakers end - less internals been used in the amp that way, keep it simple - however if you are thinking of adding a power amp at a later date go for 4 to 4

Also maybe worth not bi-wiring at all but paying double for 1 better quality single run

A

Anonymous

I guess if you like your currant cable, and just get a 2nd run of it, then bi-wiring is a cheaper option then a total cable upgrade.

In technical terms your better to share the outputs of the amp, and if one set is switched, use the unswitched set.

if you were to use cables from each set of posts, and one set was switched, it would be the lesser set, and also the set you would want your tweeters on. You wouldnt want to run just your tweeters alone its not good for them. Not exactly bad at lower volumes, but switching off the cones at high volume by accident could well stress tweeters enough to do permanent damage.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Due to a room re-arrangement i did have 7m cables running under the floorboards but i now only need 2m. So i can afford to upgrade to new and better shorter cable and sell the old.

I didnt realise there was a potential damage issue with bi-wiring.

A

Anonymous

I just popped back, to go over the damage bit, realiseing there are some floors to be ironed out.

the speaker crossover only surgests that bass go one way, and tops the other, by making it easyer to do so. it is not a total block, just an offering that works. If you run an amp to just a tweeter, as in bi-amping, then the bass will not simply do nothing. it will try and get through the tweeter to a degree. Now, its not bass im interested in, as the filters do block quite well. Im interested in the area of roll off, the actual crossover point where stuff is expected to get either way. Any noise that would of gone through the parts 50/50 is now just going through the tweeter. tweeters are generally crossed over as low as there capable of going. This point being to avoid there resonent frequency. Playing them at resonence is like rocking in the bath. sooner or later there will be to much movement. If were talking quality gear then you dont want to shake the tweeter and its delicat susspension violently. Its like poking at them with your finger, in time they wont sound the same, even if they look it.

Ive tested this with resistors. adiing them as a silent speaker to the low frequency section, then taking it away. There is a deffinate allteration in the crossover point, and on occasion some peaking caused by resonence where the crossover has been fairly low. low crossovers are something many aim for, and so i question bi-amping with all but the highest order crossovers. As most of us dont actually know what crossovers we have, its a bit of a grey area in my opinion as an electrical bod that likes to play about.

It must be said, that its odvious many people do not agree.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I've not an engineer and some of the above went over my head even thought i half understand what you mean - but i have bi-amped every set of speakers i've ever owned from £200 to £1500 and never damaged a pair yet in any way shape or form - i've also never seen a speaker manufacturer say don't do it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts