i auditioned various bits of kit yesterday and settled on the following

Marantz SA7001

Rotel RA05

B&W 685

Super Dreadnoughts

Would welcome recommendations for biwires

Thanks all

matthewpiano

tonky:I see you are using the pioneer a400. A class amp. A wonderfully natural balanced sound.

Its fabulous and works very well with the Quads. Really enjoying it. Picked it up on that auction site and the only issue was slight crackle on the volume control which I have solved with a squirt of Servisol Super 10. Its in great condition and sounds wonderful. Great match with the Marantz CD player as well. I've tried a Rotel RCD965BX but it doesn't touch the Marantz IMO.

A

Anonymous

I recently bought Atlas Hyper Bi-Wire cable and although it's quite expensive it's well worth the money. It comes in a really nice box and with a burn in CD too, the idea being that you run the CD to get your cable properly run in. Once it's fully run in (which takes a while) it's breath takingly good. The lows are really deep and punchy whilst the highs are really well defined and sharp without any hint of splashy-ness or smearing. Over all the definition is brilliant and the soundstage is massive.

Prices for it seem to vary greatly but I paid £135 for a 2m stereo pair fitted with Atlas Z plugs from Divine Audio in Market Harborough which was the cheapest I could find.

Like I said it aint cheap but its well worth a bit of extra outlay and it's good enough for any future upgrades.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm in agreemwnt with MP again on this one.

IMO to bring the best out in your system aim for the Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and if possible; a matching chord interconnect.

Can i ask why you feel you need to bi-wire though?

A normal run of 2 wire speaker cable and good cable jumpers on the speakers (using the same speaker cable is always a good bet) would be just as good with this equipment.

A

Anonymous

nads:A nice quality speaker cable and the same cable for the jumpers.

Eh?
emotion-8.gif

I was told just last week after a similar post re Bi-wiring that you don't need jumpers when bi-wiring (I'm bi-wiring 4 into 2). I removed the jumpers that were still on that one speaker (strange I know...) and that has made a HUGE difference to the sound, for the better.

So, are you suggesting the opposite?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If youre using the 2-4/4-4 wiring formation for connecting your amp to speakers then YES; you DO need to remove the jumber cables/bars on the speakers.

i.e. 2 speaker connections on your amp (2 x HF and 2 x LF for both Left and Right channels OR 1 x LF and 1 x HF) and connecting to your 4 terminals on each speaker then the jumber bars need to go as youre connecting each speaker terminal individually.

If youre using a normal 2 wire connection then the speaker jumper bars/cables need to remain in place to connect HF to LF

A

Anonymous

Pricisely, if you don't remove the jumpers, it's like single wiring but with extra unnecessary cables :)

nads

momo72:
nads:A nice quality speaker cable and the same cable for the jumpers.

Eh?
emotion-8.gif

I was told just last week after a similar post re Bi-wiring that you don't need jumpers when bi-wiring (I'm bi-wiring 4 into 2). I removed the jumpers that were still on that one speaker (strange I know...) and that has made a HUGE difference to the sound, for the better.

So, are you suggesting the opposite?

Please note my use of cable not cables.

A

Anonymous

nads:Please note my use of cable not cables.

Yep. (OP didn't ask about single wiring btw).

This may be a can of worms, but bi-wiring did improve the sound on my system no doubt.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend Chords excellent Carnival Silver Screen Bi- wire. The price is always brilliant and it looks fantastic too!! Can't go wrong with this cable!!!

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979 i feel the need to bi wire because when demoing the system on saturday we started with single wire and then bi wired them it was like a blanket had been lifted from over the speakers the sound just opened up as it did when changing from atacam stands to the dreads the bass was extended.

Have now settled on the atlas hyper 2.0 biwire it has stranded core for low frequency and solid core for high freqency.

A

Anonymous

andygerbil:

I recently bought Atlas Hyper Bi-Wire cable and although it's quite expensive it's well worth the money. It comes in a really nice box and with a burn in CD too, the idea being that you run the CD to get your cable properly run in. Once it's fully run in (which takes a while) it's breath takingly good. The lows are really deep and punchy whilst the highs are really well defined and sharp without any hint of splashy-ness or smearing. Over all the definition is brilliant and the soundstage is massive.

Prices for it seem to vary greatly but I paid £135 for a 2m stereo pair fitted with Atlas Z plugs from Divine Audio in Market Harborough which was the cheapest I could find.

Like I said it aint cheap but its well worth a bit of extra outlay and it's good enough for any future upgrades.

Hello,

Divine Audio has given me a higher price for this same cable and same lenght than your, the given price is £154.35, when did you bought it? So I wonder why I'm paying more £19.35??

Also have you heard the hyper 3.0? I had it at home for a month to try and realy liked the sound, especially the bass, which is supposed to be more than the Hyper 2.0 (fitted in the Biwire), but you said it has deep bass so probably there isn't that much difference.

Greetings

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts