Question Bi wire jumpers

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Just seeing what is favourite when it comes to bi-wire jumpers on speakers.
I have mine, at the moment with individual cables for both, using the A-B channels on amp one for each.
I’m about to add a second set of speakers so will need a channel for each pair.
I can’t get both sets of wires to fit into a single banana plug so going to do away with the second cable and either use a jumper cable was my first thought but then found the metal plates that came with the speaker.
In short what’s best ? Metal plate or a cable?

Gray

Why not fit spades on the amp end of one run?
That way you can connect spades and bananas to a single pair of amp terminals - thereby maintaining twice the cross sectional cable area all the way to the original speakers.
(In other words, for what it's worth, you'll still be bi-wired).

Last edited:

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for reply’s all. I had a feeling that there would be no difference between plate or wire sound wise.

I thought about a set of spades so can keep the second set or cable but don’t think a spade will fit on the amp, just a small slot to fit a bare cable in.
An extra large banana plug that would take a 6mm cable and the thinner cable together would be ideal

Reactions: Gray
Doubt you'd tell the difference to be honest.
In a blind test, I'd bet money you wouldn't.
If you've got any of your original cable, you could make up some jumpers, compare with the plates and confirm you've wasted your time 😀
Definitely worth comparing in my view. I find the plates can be quite hard to tighten securely and therefore usually prefer jumper cables.

And, if you’re bothered by such things, I think jumpers look nicer!

kJSlW28.jpg

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Definitely worth comparing in my view. I find the plates can be quite hard to tighten securely and therefore usually prefer jumper cables.

kJSlW28.jpg

I’d like to say I’m not bothered by visual things but. Yeah. That looks good !

Reactions: nopiano

Friesiansam

give these a go !
I know these things have been talked about before, recently on this forum, but it still boggles the mind that any rich wazzocks can be so gullible as to fall for such nonsense and actually buy them at such a ludicrously high price.

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Which is why it's probably best to stick to the original plates the speakers manufacturer place there..... :)
Of course they could, like many, save confusion by only providing a single pair of terminals.....

No I totally get the individual terminals. Just nearly seven grand for one set of jumpers.
Next question is what is the rest of the system like to warrant them.
A little bit nice at a guess 😂

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site

kJSlW28.jpg

How you have the main lead at the top on what I presume is the HF with the power jumping down to the LF.
Is there a reason for that or does it not matter what terminal you put the main lead on ?

I think I must of done. Could you explain what you meant
Clearly they are very expensive but they are pretty useless when the speakers came with some sort of original connectors that are going to do the same job.
The benefits of bi-wiring is debatable
If people are affluent enough to buy these things who knows what the rest of the system looks like..... :)

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Clearly they are very expensive but they are pretty useless when the speakers came with some sort of original connectors that are going to do the same job.
The benefits of bi-wiring is debatable
If people are affluent enough to buy these things who knows what the rest of the system looks like..... :)

I see what you mean now.
I’ve ordered plugs and spades and going to build my own jumpers.
I’ve never used the original metal plates so now is a good time to try them in meantime.
I can appreciate the you get what you pay for angel and also just cause it’s expensive it doesn’t mean it’s going to be any good but nearly £7K on a small wire do do the same job as a small piece of metal. I can’t figure out how that will affect the sound.

Regarding the bi-wire. It was what I was advised to do seeing as had 1 the option and 2 a spare channel to do it with.
Even if didn’t have a spare channel to have two cables and join them together at the amp end.
As far as advantage goes. I’m thinking I need a much better amp to feel the difference 😜

Reactions: Al ears
How you have the main lead at the top on what I presume is the HF with the power jumping down to the LF.
Is there a reason for that or does it not matter what terminal you put the main lead on ?
It’s another variable that may, or may not matter!

The dealer pair I borrowed were connected at the top, and I did the same when my own arrived. Then a few months later I bought the jumpers from the same guy as made up the cables. It’s quite possible the dealer chooses that method because it’s easier to reach - I wouldn’t assume it’s because of the optimum sound. Sometimes the practical and prosaic rule!

Arguably the treble is the most subtle sound, so might appreciate the first connection. As you imply, bass draws the most current so perhaps should come first. Diamond wiring would be another option to try, which theoretically is the most even-handed.

Reactions: danny-79

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts