Bi wire cable - Can i cut it and use normally?

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Stupid question i know. But can i split my Bi wire i have and use it normally, hence doubling the 5 metres i have to 2 lots of 5 metres???

Would appreciate the advice as have plasterers coming tomorrow and don't want to leave them alone in the house.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Are the 2 sets of conductors identical? My Atlas cables have one set multi-strand and one single-strand (solid). If there isn't this complication, I'd say "yes".

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Well, then I can't think of any reason not to.

Except you might hear a difference between them if one is only 'trained' for bass notes and the other for the other
emotion-40.gif
I'll be off now before the grenade explodes.....

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Always cut the red wire!:

It says:

Gale Electronics Symphony Bi Wire HF-, LF-, HF+, LF+ on each of the four wires.

ACTUALLY - if it nominates them as HF (high frequencies) and LF (low frequencies) there probably IS a reason not to. I tried Googling but couldn't find the spec.

A

Anonymous

I BI-WIRED some Monitor Audio BX2's with some QED original as its just coper so no brightness was not impressed with the sound so single wired like what-hi reviewed.

Basically had a look at QED's site and the 4 conductors are 2.4mm each so just split it and single wired! major improvement and loads of cable spare now :)

So yes if the conductors are all the same size and material!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It will work but if you're running single wire to the speakers that were previously bi-wired you'll have to put the links back between the HF and LF terminals on the speakers (assuming you took them out in the first place of course...).

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
lhc, As you can probably guess, i am new to this game!

The speaker I bought had 'Banana plugs' and I am sure that these are what you use for the above.

Thanks for all the advice, guess you just saved me a few quid. Was going to buy some nice QED Silver Anniv XT wire for £3.50/m.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Always cut the red wire!:
lhc, As you can probably guess, i am new to this game!

The speaker I bought had 'Banana plugs' and I am sure that these are what you use for the above.

Err, banana plugs are what goes on the end of speaker cables. Do you mean they came with short pieces of cable to connect the terminals together, that had banana plugs on the end of them?

In that case put those back when you re-wire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts