Bi amping with differing power amps....

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Just a quick question- When biamping with differing power amps (from the same company) is there a consensus on where to stick the more powerful amp i.e. tweeter/mid range or is it just user preference. I ask because i am using two cyrus six powers and thinking of upgrading one of them to 8 (funds now allow it) or should i not bother until i can change both amps? Cheers!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="SHAXOS"]Just a quick question- When biamping with differing power amps (from the same company) is there a consensus on where to stick the more powerful amp i.e. tweeter/mid range or is it just user preference. I ask because i am using two cyrus six powers and thinking of upgrading one of them to 8 (funds now allow it) or should i not bother until i can change both amps?
Cheers![/quote]

Either way If they aren't matched the power is limited to that of the lower powered amp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]To my knowledge the more powerful one should drive the tweeter.[/quote]
to my knowlege both amps should be exactly the same both in make ane model but i might be wrong im sure Andrew will be along and have the final word

A

Anonymous

[quote user="SHAXOS"]Just a quick question- When biamping with differing power amps (from the same company) is there a consensus on where to stick the more powerful amp i.e. tweeter/mid range or is it just user preference. I ask because i am using two cyrus six powers and thinking of upgrading one of them to 8 (funds now allow it) or should i not bother until i can change both amps?
Cheers![/quote]

Make sure the amplifiers are gain matched which, given they are the same make, is quite likely.

Found this at www.cyrus.co.uk
[quote user="www.cyrus.co.uk"] Because the main power amplifier circuit is based closely on the class-leading Cyrus 8 vs2 integrated amplifier, the 6 Power is a perfect match for the Pre vs2. It is also equally at home in quality multi-room/surround systems or matched for bi-amping to a Cyrus 6vs or Cyrus 8vs amplifier. Chain output sockets enables the input signal to be easily passed to further amplifiers for bi/tri-amping purposes or where many amplifiers are required to run from the same input signal for sound reinforcement in large rooms or halls[/quote]

So it should be ok.

As for who drives what.. Typically in music, the bass requires more power than the treble. So I would put the 8 (60w) ontot he woofer half of your system and leave the 6 driving the treble. I imagine the 8 is just generally higher quality than the 6 though so if extra upper detail is what your after then you may want to do the reverse, want tighter, more controleld bass? use the 8 on the woofer, however.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts