Bi-Amping Wiring Error: Onkyo SR605 & ELAC FS127

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear All--

My audio system is as follows:

-Onkyo TX SR605, Bi-Amp Enabled

-Front Speakers: ELAC FS127(2.5 way 4 ohms, Large floor standers)

-Center: Mordaunt Short 905i

-Rear: Onkyo bundled(small)

-Cables: QED Silvery Anniversat XT Biwire(front and center)

Few months back when I ordered the QED SA XT biwire cable from a local disti called Pro-fx, they offered an on-site installation visit by their engineers. So the guys arrived and set up my system. Since these guys seemed like professionals (who tune denon amps and keff speakers day in and out), I let them tune my above mentioned system along with the cabling for which they primarily came for. I had my doubts but then they were unhurried and seemilngly were thorough in their approach. On my instructions they also did the bi-amping. Few months later, I realise that they wired the b-amping the wrong way. The polarities are ok but basically they messed up the low frequency and high frequency feeders by mistake.I did not cross verify this for a long time until today.

(In SR605, the front channel is supposed to feeds the high frequency post of the speakers and the surround back channel feeds the low frequency post of the speakers. In my speakers, the top line is the HF post and the bottom line is the LF post.)

Questions I have is, does this type of erroneous wiring have any harmful effect on the speakers or the amp? (From my understanding it does not seem like it but am not sure), if so what should be done? Should I "run-in" speakers again for better effect?

And lastly, though the sound is so much better after wiring it correctly, I had no clue that I was missing this sound! Iam embarassed and left wondering how many of you experts would have figured from the sound that the bi-amping connections were not correct? Am curious....

Thanks for your insight...regular reader of Whathifi can screw up too!
emotion-4.gif

--Roy

A

Anonymous

Joel--

Ahem! Please check the Onkyo TX SR605 spec. It can do bi-amping as such but you need to dedicate one of the rear channels of 7.1 for biamping the front channel. Basically when I convert my 7.1 system to a 5.1 set-up, Iam able to bi-amp my fronts.

Hope this clarifies...

--Roy

A

Anonymous

Joel and Daveh, any comments on my originals questions?

eagerly awaiting some insights...

Can someone technically interpret and paint a picture on how I must have been hearing the music with the bi-amping wrongly wired up for the past months???

Thanks...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts