Bi-amping: Need some help and advice from someone experienced:)THANKS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could anyone explain to me how to do bi-amping on my front speakers and what does it actually mean??? And is it safe for my amp and speakers?? Is it not going to damage anything?? and what is that for??? will that increase bass on my fronts?? or overall performance?? My amp is ONKYO 905 and speakers Dali Ikon 6 (5.1) Please help! thanks!!!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've got a 905 and I bi-amp my Monitor Audio BR5's, yes it's definately worth it.

If you are only using your system in 5.1 mode, i.e. 2 fronts, 1 centre, 2 surrounds and a subwoofer there will be 2 channels of amplification going to waste on your 905! Bi-amping you're front speakers will provide seperate amplification for the treble/midrange and the bass. I've found it noticeably better.

Just think of it as connecting 2 pairs of speakers.

1. Remove the metal links between you're speaker binding posts.

2. Preferably use a bi-wire speaker cable, e.g. QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire, connect the Front right and left 905 binding posts to the treble/midrange (top set of binding posts) speaker binding posts and the Surround Back right & left 905 binding posts to the bass (bottom) speaker binding posts.

3. Enter the Speaker Set-up on your 905 and change the setting from normal to Bi-amp for speaker A.

This won't damage anything assuming you wire it up correctlty and have removed the binding post links on your speakers. You should notice improved treble clarity and a faster deeper bass. If you want to experiment, the Front R&L outputs on your 905 will probably provide better quality amplification than the Surround Back R&L outputs, you may get better bass by connecting your bass drivers to the Front R&L and the treble/midrange to the Surround Back R&L, you choose which sounds best.

P.27 of the Onkyo manual shows you how to do it.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Ok But my Qed Anniversary XT Bi-Wire cables have 4 plugs one side and only two which goes to the amp on the other.... I need more cables then??? or remove the plugs or what??? I don't know If I remove plugs sound will be worse??? I don't know it is complicated for me:)

A

Anonymous

You have bi-wire cables, to bi-amp you'll need bi-amp cables or 2 sets of single cables!

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Hey he asked for someone experienced.
4.gif

I thought one needed two separate amps to bi-amp. Does the OP mean bi-wire?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I've just bi-amped my Onkyo 875 using QED Silver anniversary XT Bi-wire cable using bare ended cable both ends and it's as Pete321 says. Should tell you in the manual.
Make sure you change the settings on your Onk when connected

A

Anonymous

Using the back surround terminals you can bi-amp the onk's. Conventional bi-amp is 2xmono though.

A

Anonymous

gpi:Hey he asked for someone experienced.
4.gif

Indeed. OP, the speaker cables you describe (4 plugs at speaker end, 2 at amp end) are for biwiring your speakers. Have you been using these already, or have you just got hold of these?

If you are interested in biamping (which is different from biwiring), you will need to purchase an additional amplifier. If you run a search on the forum for biamp / bi-amp / biamping etc. etc. you will find a lot of previous threads on this topic.

Hope this helps.

EDIT Sorry, just noticed that this thread is in the Home Cinema forum - and what I know about home cinema you could write on the back of a stamp. Please ignore.

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:gpi:Hey he asked for someone experienced.
4.gif

I thought one needed two separate amps to bi-amp. Does the OP mean bi-wire?Indeed. OP, the speaker cables you describe (4 plugs at speaker end, 2 at amp end) are for biwiring your speakers. Have you been using these already, or have you just got hold of these?If you are interested in biamping (which is different from biwiring), you will need to purchase an additional amplifier. If you run a search on the forum for biamp / bi-amp / biamping etc. etc. you will find a lot of previous threads on this topic.Hope this helps.

Ohhhhh no he won't....

Just change your cables and you'll be bi-amping!!!ÿ

A

Anonymous

"What the Onkyo does is exactly biamping: it reassigns the two rear surround channels so they are carrying the same signal as the front left/right channels, so each element of the speaker is driven separately. Or at least it does if the biamp mode is chosen in the menus"

In the words of Sir Andrew Everardÿ

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
You dont need 2 amps to Bi-amp Onkyo 875s or 905s. It tells you how to do it in the manual

Bi-amping Speaker Hookup

Connect the AV receiver's FRONT R positive (+)

terminal to the right speaker's positive (+) tweeter

(high) terminal. And connect the AV receiver's

FRONT R negative (-) terminal to the right

speaker's negative (-) tweeter (high) terminal

Repeat for surround back and left speakers, it's simple and it improves the sound

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
So it's a seven channel amp plus the sub out? Ah, me see through the murky water now. As long as the correct setting is selected the signal from the rears is re-assigned?

A

Anonymous

It just sends the same signal to woofer/tweeter or tweeters or woofers.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
But shirley I could do the same with the two speaker outputs on my Marantz. It wouldn't be true bi-amping, but bi-wiring.

A

Anonymous

There is no science to back bi-wiring up though. The reason it is still around is marketing and the placebo effect...

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The 4 plug end is OK, the 2 plug end will need to be converted to 4 plugs to bi-amp, or just take the 2 plugs of and connect to the amp bare wire.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
gpi:Hey he asked for someone experienced.
4.gif

He's got 2 amps, he's only using 5.1 channels out of 7.1, that makes 2 channels available to bi-amp.

A

Anonymous

pete321:gpi:Hey he asked for someone experienced.
4.gif

He's got 2 amps, he's only using 5.1 channels out of 7.1, that makes 2 channels available to bi-amp.

I think we've covered this topic, now bi-wiring an integrated Marantz!!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Just a quick question about bi-amping my AV amp (Yamaha Z7). Will I still be able to use the "Pure Direct" setting to shut down all the unnecessary electronic?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts