Bi-amping my Arcam A85, is it worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there. This is my first post here and it's a great forum indeed. I just bought a used Arcam A85 integrated amp and it sounds superb with my Monitor Audio RS6's. I think it's a great pairing. I'm considering bi-amping with a P85 or P90 to improve thing even further, but unfortunately I can't demo a power amp as there's no Arcam dealers close to me (I'm living in Ireland). So is it worth the upgrade at around £200?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Ollie.:Hi there. This is my first post here and it's a great forum indeed. I just bought a used Arcam A85 integrated amp and it sounds superb with my Monitor Audio RS6's. I think it's a great pairing. I'm considering bi-amping with a P85 or P90 to improve thing even further, but unfortunately I can't demo a power amp as there's no Arcam dealers close to me (I'm living in Ireland). So is it worth the upgrade at around £200?

Yes.

And if you don't think it's worth it then just sell the P85 on.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Yes.

Good point Joel. That's one of the advantages of buying used - you should get the same money back for (or close) it if you're selling it on again. I must just try and find one now..

JoelSim:

Ollie.:Hi there. This is my first post here and it's a great forum indeed. I just bought a used Arcam A85 integrated amp and it sounds superb with my Monitor Audio RS6's. I think it's a great pairing. I'm considering bi-amping with a P85 or P90 to improve thing even further, but unfortunately I can't demo a power amp as there's no Arcam dealers close to me (I'm living in Ireland). So is it worth the upgrade at around £200?

Yes.

Concur with Joel. Arcam can [and do] lack a little vitality, once bi-amped they are brilliant for the money.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Penguin and Joel. I'm definitely going to get the P85 now. I'm also waiting on the arrival of a Nad C542 cd player next week. I bought this as I got it for a good price and it's only 3 years old with very little use. Is this good enough for my system or should I have went for one of the more expensive arcam players? And synergy wise, will it be good? Thanks again!

Ollie.:Cheers Penguin and Joel. I'm definitely going to get the P85 now. I'm also waiting on the arrival of a Nad C542 cd player next week. I bought this as I got it for a good price and it's only 3 years old with very little use. Is this good enough for my system or should I have went for one of the more expensive arcam players? And synergy wise, will it be good? Thanks again!

Yes, synergy-wise it should be fine. However, the A85 originally retailed at about £800 while the Nad RRP was £350. Plus your adding a power amp, so the CDP won't get the best from your Arcs.

But, like the power amp, you could sell it on and buy a cdp that will make the most of the Arcams.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure if I should have bought the C542 really. I think I'll get the power amp now and run the Nad for a while until funds become available to buy a decent cd player. I should have bought a better cd player first and added the power amp at a later date. I got the C542 for £115 + del which I think is a good price and I hope to get this back when I sell it on. What cd player would you recommend Penguin?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
Ollie.:Cheers Penguin and Joel. I'm definitely going to get the P85 now. I'm also waiting on the arrival of a Nad C542 cd player next week. I bought this as I got it for a good price and it's only 3 years old with very little use. Is this good enough for my system or should I have went for one of the more expensive arcam players? And synergy wise, will it be good? Thanks again!

Yes, synergy-wise it should be fine. However, the A85 originally retailed at about £800 while the Nad RRP was £350. Plus your adding a power amp, so the CDP won't get the best from your Arcs.

But, like the power amp, you could sell it on and buy a cdp that will make the most of the Arcams.

I'm not sure if I should have bought the C542 really. I think I'll get
the power amp now and run the Nad for a while until funds become
available to buy a decent cd player. I should have bought a better cd
player first and added the power amp at a later date. I got the C542
for £115 + del which I think is a good price and I hope to get this
back when I sell it on. What cd player would you recommend Penguin?

Ollie.:plastic penguin:

I'm not sure if I should have bought the C542 really. I think I'll get the power amp now and run the Nad for a while until funds become available to buy a decent cd player. I should have bought a better cd player first and added the power amp at a later date. I got the C542 for £115 + del which I think is a good price and I hope to get this back when I sell it on. What cd player would you recommend Penguin?

Depends on your budget. The obvious choice would be Arcam CD 192 (Ebay, around £350 - £400), or Exposure 2010S (£450 - £500). Up your budget and look at Roksan Kandy CDS (£900).

Although I've not heard it, listen to the Rega Apollo, many on this forum rate this cdp highly.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Ollie.:plastic penguin:

Depends on your budget. The obvious choice would be Arcam CD 192 (Ebay, around £350 - £400), or Exposure 2010S (£450 - £500). Up your budget and look at Roksan Kandy CDS (£900).

Although I've not heard it, listen to the Rega Apollo, many on this forum rate this cdp highly.

Excellent stuff Penguin! I'll do a bit of research into those and keep an eye on prices etc. before I pull the trigger. The Nad won't be too bad for a while anyway and I can take my time buying. Thanks again..

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
you are going about this system in a very good way in my opinion - the Arcam is great and bi-amped will be excellent then the NAD C542 at that price is a great deal, it is good cd player, yes it can be bettered but for now it will do a great job.

i would continue with the biamp thought and then upgrade the cd player at a later dateto the arcam 192.

i used to pair nad with arcam with good results and for the money you are paying it would be extremely difficult to do much better to be honest

A

Anonymous

crusaderlord:you are going about this system in a very good way in my opinion - the Arcam is great and bi-amped will be excellent then the NAD C542 at that price is a great deal, it is good cd player, yes it can be bettered but for now it will do a great job.

i would continue with the biamp thought and then upgrade the cd player at a later dateto the arcam 192.

i used to pair nad with arcam with good results and for the money you are paying it would be extremely difficult to do much better to be honest

I hope so Crusaderlord. The Nad is supposed to be a great player and I'm confident I'll get my money back when I sell it on. It also gives me a bit of time to research and check out prices etc. on a higher end players like Arcam, Roksan Kandy etc. I heard great things about the Arcam 192...

Ollie.:

crusaderlord:you are going about this system in a very good way in my opinion - the Arcam is great and bi-amped will be excellent then the NAD C542 at that price is a great deal, it is good cd player, yes it can be bettered but for now it will do a great job. i would continue with the biamp thought and then upgrade the cd player at a later dateto the arcam 192. i used to pair nad with arcam with good results and for the money you are paying it would be extremely difficult to do much better to be honest

I hope so Crusaderlord. The Nad is supposed to be a great player and I'm confident I'll get my money back when I sell it on. It also gives me a bit of time to research and check out prices etc. on a higher end players like Arcam, Roksan Kandy etc. I heard great things about the Arcam 192...

Ollie, the Nad is a fabulous machine. Within it's price-range it's the choice for most, but the ones I mentioned earlier will offer the Arcam amp to really shine and some.....

The Nad will do a good job and will give you many hours of pleasure, but.....there's always a but.....you will hanker after an upgrade sooner or later.

Enjoy your system in the meantime
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm after getting the Arcam CD192 now Penguin; the Nad didn't quite work out as there was a problem with it. The 192 is a superb sounding player. I was lucky to find one for sale locally
emotion-2.gif
. Trying to find a black P85 is proving to be a lot more difficult though..

scene

As the proud owner of an A85 from new (partnered with a DV88 - now only as a CD player), I'm keen to know what your experiences of partnering it with the P85 - something I've toyed with on and off for s few years. The P90 is pretty much identical to the P85, 5W extra power, but gain is identical, etc. So might want to look out for either.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

A

Anonymous

scene:
As the proud owner of an A85 from new (partnered with a DV88 - now only as a CD player), I'm keen to know what your experiences of partnering it with the P85 - something I've toyed with on and off for s few years. The P90 is pretty much identical to the P85, 5W extra power, but gain is identical, etc. So might want to look out for either.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

I'll definitely report back Scene, if I can find one. A few wanted threads on another site classifieds lately, so they're very scarce indeed. Finding one in black is even harder. A black one made £333 + del on ebay a few weeks ago, so fetching pretty strong money. A P90 would be fine too. Cheers..

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that Matengawhat. I was only looking at P85's and P90's and wasn't even aware of the P35. Does this have the same gain too? I'll keep an eye out..

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
my understanding is that most manufacturers try to keep the gain the same across their ranges to allow ppl to swp and changed or updaye as models move along - might be worth a quick email to arcam - thnik original retail was about £900 and tend to go for about £450/500 and in my opinion its a really strong amp

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:my understanding is that most manufacturers try to keep the gain the same across their ranges to allow ppl to swp and changed or updaye as models move along - might be worth a quick email to arcam - thnik original retail was about £900 and tend to go for about £450/500 and in my opinion its a really strong amp

Thanks for that Matengawhat, I'll definitely look into this amp..

Ollie.:I'm after getting the Arcam CD192 now Penguin; the Nad didn't quite work out as there was a problem with it. The 192 is a superb sounding player. I was lucky to find one for sale locally
emotion-2.gif

The 192 is a cracking choice
emotion-21.gif
. Is all your system black?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
Ollie.:I'm after getting the Arcam CD192 now Penguin; the Nad didn't quite work out as there was a problem with it. The 192 is a superb sounding player. I was lucky to find one for sale locally
emotion-2.gif

emotion-21.gif

All except for the Monitor Audio RS6's, they're walnut. I only received the Arcam CD192 today, and it's a gem of a player..

Ollie.:plastic penguin:

emotion-2.gif

emotion-21.gif

All except for the Monitor Audio RS6's, they're walnut. I only received the Arcam CD192 today, and it's a gem of a player..

Congrats, Ollie. Enjoy your new kit.....
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts