Best way to wire sub

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if its for stereo use and your amp has pre outs and the sub has low level inputs connect to both left and right out on amp to left and right in using a pair of rca interconnects

the sub will add them together into a mono signal

whats the amp and sub in question?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Although some, including REL founder Richard Lord, will tell you that it's best to connect the sub in parallel with the main speakers, using a high-level connection, as they feel this gives a more coherent sound.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
The best way to wire a sub - in order to make it integrate properly with your main speakers - is via high level connections (speaker cable). Connecting a sub via pre-outs may give you slightly better bass quality, but if it doesn't integrate with your main speakers then there is no point in even having a sub to begin with, as it will constantly draw attention to itself and interfere with what your main speakers are doing, not just in the bass but the midrange also.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Although some, including REL founder Richard Lord, will tell you that it's best to connect the sub in parallel with the main speakers, using a high-level connection, as they feel this gives a more coherent sound.

does depend on who you ask as have noticed in past that rel prefer the parallel option and don't include low level on many of their subs

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have to say when I've used subs in stereo systems I've gone for the high-level connection with very good results, though of course in multichannel set-ups where there's a dedicated .1 channel the low-level connection is preferable.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Tear Drop:The best way to wire a sub - in order to make it integrate properly with your main speakers - is via high level connections (speaker cable). Connecting a sub via pre-outs may give you slightly better bass quality, but if it doesn't integrate with your main speakers then there is no point in even having a sub to begin with, as it will constantly draw attention to itself and interfere with what your main speakers are doing, not just in the bass but the midrange also.

think depends on sub - if setup prop you should have no problem with intergration - think ppl sometimes make mistake of having them turned up to loud or the cross over set to high - with a little time you can get fantastic results

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Have to say when I've used subs in stereo systems I've gone for the high-level connection with very good results, though of course in multichannel set-ups where there's a dedicated .1 channel the low-level connection is preferable.

just out of interest andrew if your using high level inpts and biwire speakers do you conect the low frequencies to sub then to speakers and run high frequencies straight to speakers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, wire the speakers to the amp as usual, and connect the subwoofer in parallel, either using the bare wire ends on the high-level cable or stacking banana plugs.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
if an integrated amp has speakers 'A' and speakers 'B' can the sub be cooneted to 'B' and stereo speakers to 'A' thus the sub can be switched on/off via the amps remate control ?

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Yes.

Thanks Andrew but do i connect the speakers 'b' wires to 'from amplifier' or 'from speakers' on the back of the BW ASW1000 sub ? I tried 'from amplifier' and got a humming noise so i disconnected it quickly.. To me it would seam logical that speakers 'b' from an integrated amp should be connected to 'from amplifier' on the sub...........

A

Anonymous

I was told by the man who designed REL Quake that the best way to wire the sub is to connect both the hi and low level outputs of my AV receiver to the hi and low level inputs in the sub.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
biggus_1961:but do i connect the speakers 'b' wires to 'from amplifier' or 'from speakers' on the back of the BW ASW1000 sub ? I tried 'from amplifier' and got a humming noise so i disconnected it quickly.. To me it would seam logical that speakers 'b' from an integrated amp should be connected to 'from amplifier' on the sub...........

Yes, the 'from amplifier' connection should be used. The humming suggests the connection wasn't correct, and some subwoofers have an 'earth lift' switch to deal with hum problems.

I'd stick with wiring the sub in parallel with the main speakers, using the same terminals, if this problem persists.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Yep it now works i must have mis'connected it the first time . Its good to be able to switch the sub on or off at the touch of a button on the integrated's remote control.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

biggus_1961:but do i connect the speakers 'b' wires to 'from amplifier' or 'from speakers' on the back of the BW ASW1000 sub ? I tried 'from amplifier' and got a humming noise so i disconnected it quickly.. To me it would seam logical that speakers 'b' from an integrated amp should be connected to 'from amplifier' on the sub...........

Yes, the 'from amplifier' connection should be used. The humming suggests the connection wasn't correct, and some subwoofers have an 'earth lift' switch to deal with hum problems.

I'd stick with wiring the sub in parallel with the main speakers, using the same terminals, if this problem persists.

Andrew, I think you gave the wrong advice here. On the back of the Sub I would think 'from speakers' means high level, and 'from amp' means low-level. Thus if wiring from the Amps speaker outputs you want to use the Sub's 'from speakers'.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts