Best Way To Link ITunes to A Hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, I am currently running a USB cable to my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic which is then connected to my Hifi. Is that the best way to run music from a PC or would the Apple Airport Express be a better option? Any help is welcomed. Thx

A

Anonymous

Just read MyWhatHifis post about the Airport Express and his VDAC he is looking to purchase.

From what I have read, it seems that the Airport express is just a wireless way to transmit the sound from your PC to your Hifi - usint iTunes?

Now does adding the Cambridge Audio DAC create a better sound or is it not needed?

A

Anonymous

Eventually I plan to have my PC in a different room - professorhat. Just want to know whats the puriest way of doing the connection between the iTunes & Hifi

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Vinny7:From what I have read, it seems that the Airport express is just a wireless way to transmit the sound from your PC to your Hifi - usint iTunes?

Now does adding the Cambridge Audio DAC create a better sound or is it not needed?

Yup, that's exactly it - you still want the DAC for a better sound as the one built into the AE unit is good considering the price, but the DacMagic will definitely improve it.

As for the best sound, I think USB or digital coaxial are considered the better methods than optical because there is no conversion of the electrical signal (optical converts it to light), but I don't think there's a lot in it personally.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

professorhat - excellent. thx for your help. Think I shall be keeping my DACmagic then & purchasing the ipod touch & Airport Express when needed.

idc

Hi Vinny. I asked a similar question elsewhere and this was the result; http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/258706.aspx.

So there was no definitive answer, but USB from PC to DAC has the advantage of being the simplest connection, with no obvious disadvantages. As the professor said AE would be the better option if you have kit in different rooms. Hard wired is more reliable than wireless, but a wireless set up with a good strong signal should be perfectly reliable. As to which option provides the best sound quality don't know and there does not appear to be strong views either way. I use USB and I am perfectly happy with the sound.

A

Anonymous

The router is my my Hifi room so the connection is excellent. I am currently using a USB connection to my DAC too & am happy with the sound. But I wanted to know about the longevity of my current setup & upgrade options for me in the future. Those being with Airport Express, NAS Drives etc. I thought that with the Airport Express connected directly into my Hifi there was no need for a DAC - but it still affects the sound from the AE before hitting the Hifi. (I have the DAC Magic on home demo & therefore wouldnt see the need for it in the future)

Shall read your post now idc - interesting stuff on there

idc

The most important link between PC and hifi is the DAC. If the means of connecting one to another has an influence on the sound, then it will be minor. After all that connection is in the digital domain and there is a lot of scepticism as to whether one digital connection is/can be any better than any other. The DacMagic gets consistently good reviews and I look to the DAC and not the connection as the priority.

As to longetivity, since PCs have loads of USB ports and there have been improvements in their performance and more and more DACs are adding USB as a means of connection, I just cannot see it being replaced or dying out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts